Best PDF annotation app in the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JoeS, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A guy's "minor issues" is a gal's "unfinished business" ;)

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay. How do you change the settings in drawboard so that the pen you want to use is present when the program loads?

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For that you must install the optional mind reader module. Kidding aside, I think it remembers the last pen used from the wheel/puck, or maybe always pen1 from the puck? I don't think it remembers which tool from the favorites bar you used last. If you want a specific behavior, please file a feature request, they are good listeners.

4. rechovi

rechovi Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having a bit of a problem with Drawboard and wanted to know if anyone has any advice.

Firstly, does anyone use zotero and zotfile to manage pdfs? I do for my work, and have been looking for a good pdf reader for my surface pro for highlighting and making notes on a pdf. I then go back to zotero and use zotfile to extract the highlighted sections and notes into my database. It works perfectly on my desktop using adobe reader or foxit, works with Reader and other windows 8 apps that I have tried, but for some reason it isn't working with drawboard. When I extract annotations in zotero from a pdf, it doesn't recognise anything highlighted and saved in drawboard, or the notes added to a pdf in drawboard.

I'd love to solve this problem as drawboard is by far the best of all the PDF annotators I have found as far as ease of use, text rendering, quick scrolling, the ability to highlight with the pen rather than my finger and so forth. But it is the only one of all I've tried that is having this issue! Is there something about the way that highlights and notes are embedded in the pdf that is different between drawboard and other programmes?

One unrelated question. Does anyone know of any programme where stylus written notes that are scribbled directly on a pdf could be converted to text in the same way that onenote does this? I think if such a feature could be added it would really make a stand out PDF application and would be become the go-to journal reader for academics and students in particular. The possibility of handwriting notes on a pdf, converting to text and exporting that text along with highlighted sections with page references into zotero with zotfile would transform workflows of a lot of people.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm having an inking issue in drawboard. I use a form timesheet in drawboard and ink my time in. I am getting an odd lag. I can write a number of characters in a row but then I get a monetary lag and it takes a fraction of a second for the letters to catch up on the display. Then writing is fine for a few more characters until a lag occurs again. This pattern is repeated over and over.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I hate monetary lags, I blame Lehman Brothers.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

7. JoeS

On what kind of device is this, and how large is the PDF? I haven't seen this exact behavior personally. For me a few times per session DBPDF seems to 'miss' a stroke causing it to render part of the text one character to the left. Also, lately I've noticed that hitting ctrl-z will take a few seconds before triggering an undo. That's about it though, sounds different from your observations.

8. hajalie24

hajalie24 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is drawboard REALLY SLOW when it comes to erasing for anyone else? It takes sometimes 10 seconds to erase something, yet writing is very close to instant (at most one second)

9. JoeS

I just sent them a bug report that CTRL-Z took close to ten seconds to complete. They're looking into it. Not sure if that's separate from the erase issue, so you might want to send them an email about that as well. For me erasing with the back of the SP2 pen works as before. Meaning: tough to hit the thing you want to erase, but not slow or anything.

10. hajalie24

hajalie24 Pen Pal - Newbie

I emailed them, they said to disable group inking, but it was already disabled. They also said they were working on fixing the issues.

Anyways, I think I may have found a better solution, at least for me. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat and converted the files to PowerPoint. Now I'm using Powerpoint 2013 to annotate. I'm annotating lecture notes so it works pretty well, pretty much converts it to its original format. In fact it is pretty much identical to how my professor annotates his notes now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.