Best PDF annotation app in the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JoeS, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I've tried it, and it's great! But it's payware. 8€ is a bit steep for me. Dunno, maybe i'll wait till it goes or sale if I will really need it. I don't make a lot of annotations.

EDIT: Drawboard PDF is on sale today, so I guess there's no excuse no to buy it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I tried the trial version of drawboard and like its touch friendliness. I've been using my old legacy copy of PDF Annotator v3.xx and I am finding it slow to load in W8 and pen centric, not given to ease of operation by touch. The problem I am having with drawboard is the lack of sensitivity of its settings. I use my pen on 2 but would prefer a setting between 1 and 2 for thickness. The same is true with the highlighter settings. I would like a half step for opacity for the highlighter. Are the settings in the full version any better? I still think this is a lot more functional than Annotator (which has been a staple of mine for the past 3 years). Any reason not to migrate? I just can't see paying another $30 to upgrade annotator.

3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't think so - trial version has the same settings as the full version available.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That it's a steep upgrade price. Drawboard isn't a finished product yet, so you'll get in before the developer can raise the price, he seems diligent and its very responsive to inquiries. Always a good sign, but then he might graduate, find a girlfriend, get a job or move out of mom's basement. Always a crap shoot with individual developers, but so far so good.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

The inking appears a bit laggy as well, the more I play with it. Anybody using PDF Annotator in v4xx. Any better with touch? I guess I have to hope that there is no girlfriend in the offing for the developer. Then again, is that really a possibility for a software developer?

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I used PDF Annotator v4.x, it works with Touch in Windows 7 but not in Windows 8.x, Grahl never mastered Windows 8.x ink and touch APIs, he still making legacy calls to the older .NET Framework. I use DrawboardPDF now as it just is easier to use.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Only when an IPO is about to be announced.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think you underestimate the amount of work in making an app like this. Drawboard is most certainly not a single guy in his mom's basement.

Which part of Drawboard is not finished? I find it very slick and full featured at this point.

9. Bronsky

My issues are that it is a bit laggy when I'm writing, no where near as finished feeling as PDF Annotator (of course for $26 more). It is also the only program that seems to have a negative effect on the accuracy of the stylus hover mark. The line thickness wheel also needs some adjusting. I would like a half step between 1 and 2 but I can't imagine using any setting beyond 2 so, what is the point there? It needs some better calibration so there are more meaningful settings for its pen. The same is true about the opaqueness settings. There needs to be smaller steps to get a more functional highlighter.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Those are fair concerns, I've seen them in the app feedback in the store, and I'm sure the developers are aware of that request. I just felt that calling it 'unfinished' is a bit over the top. It's not like it's a buggy crashy mess at this point, for me it's a great day to day tool with a few minor issues, at least for my workflow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.