Best painting and drawing apps in the Windows Store

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeS, Feb 16, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Now that there are finally a few quality drawing apps in the Windows store, maybe it's time to make a thread discussing them. So here's a few, sorted by store rating

Artrage touch - $10 or 7-day free trial (4.4 rating after 100 votes)
    Familiar ArtRage interface. Layer support. Toolbars move out of the way when you ink near them. Minor issues so far: back of SP2 pen doesn't erase, and there is no quick way to get back to 100% zoom. No way to send them feedback other than leaving store review or going on the forums.

Fresh Paint by Microsoft. Free, tons of features. No layers. (4.0 rating after 10000 votes)

Autodesk Sketchbook - Free basic version, annoying sign up for free layer tool, infuriating $25/yr for full toolset (excuse the editorializing) (3.7 rating after 2000 votes)

Sketchable - Free basic version, $12 for complete toolset. Layer support. (3.5 rating after 400 votes)

123D Sculpt+ - Free. Not technically a painting app, but incredibly fun and super easy to use sculpting app, including coloring and posing the model (3.8 rating after 22 votes)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    jaekqubp likes this.
  2. JoeS

Just noticed: the brand new ArtRage has ten ratings, with 8 giving it 4 or more stars, and 2 giving it one star. Current theory: Sketchbook and Sketchable have both rated the app. :D

upload_2015-2-18_15-17-57.png

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find that ArtRage Touch has really bad performance on my Pro 2. I can draw a line, and then wait a few seconds before it catches up to the tip of my pen. Admittedly, I'm also running Windows 10 on it currently, so I don't know if that's affecting it too. The desktop version doesn't have that issue though.

4. JoeS

Odd, I haven't seen that on my SP2. I can scribble fast and lines still track the pen very well. Drawing a wide line (e.g. with the paint roller tool) slows things down: if I draw along the screen diagonal in about 1 second, the 'line' lags the tip by maybe an inch. For narrower tools it's much better though.

5. JoeS

Has anyone found any good new sketching apps lately? The ratings haven't changed much for these for, Sketchable dropped from 3.7 to 3.6, and ArtRage Touch increased from 4.3 to 4.4.

About ArtRage, it doesn't seem to use anti-aliasing on my TPY12 using the watercolor pen, meaning if you zoom in on a dark ink stroke it looks terribly blocky. No fuzzy rendering or anything. See picture, the lower right one is the watercolor. Bug or feature? Edit: looks like the 'ink pen' has an edge anti-aliasing option, but I don't see it for the watercolor. So maybe a bug. The app also crashes pretty often when trying to check pen settings, maybe related?

upload_2015-8-15_10-14-20.png

About Sketchbook, am I overlooking something, or is saving to png the only option on the free 'essentials' package? Meaning if you want to work on a second drawing, you lose all layers in the first? That can't be right?!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. JoeS

Wow, not technically a drawing app, but the 123DSculpt app looks amazing.
    See here for simple tutorials. Very cool!

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've been messing with it on Android since its release! Very fun and intuitive. Alarmingly it only crashed once on me in the total play time i have given it. Which is more than i can say for other art apps that crash regularily.

8. JoeS

It's really incredible. I always found the 3D cad programs a bit daunting, but this app allows you to make fun 3D figures in no time. I imagine that you can export and 3D print these as well. Now if only 3D printers could also apply the applied colors on the 'baked' model I'd be printing up a storm!

9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

You can, with Shapeways and other places (I assume this is what you mean http://www.shapeways.com/materials/full-color-sandstone )

I've printed some before. the result is 'not bad' :)

not sure if the app lets you export the right formats though?

JoeS likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do these android art apps crash on all devices, or just Stoneseeker's Samsung?

It's sort of feeling like the early 90's all over again, when all software was perpetually moody and unstable and, "Screw you guys! I'm takin' my data and going home!".

I kinda thought we'd moved on from those days, as a species.