Best Drive Imaging software

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kamikaze458, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Redo is a LiveCD, that is, it has an OS inside the disc, which means you don't need to boot into Windows to use Redo. Instead, you boot into Redo's built-in OS, then, from there, you do the backup and recovery operations. In other words, you will not install Redo into Windows.

So the version of Windows you have is not important. As a matter of fact, you can use the same Redo disc to backup XP, Vista, 7, OSX or Linux. 32 or 64-bit.

2. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Taken from redobackup.org help page.
    "Q: Why won't my hardware work?

A: It may not be supported by Ubuntu. If that's the case, then Redo can't either."

Taken from Redo Backup and Recovery | Download Redo Backup and Recovery software for free at SourceForge.net

"Operating System
    All 32-bit MS Windows (95/98/NT/2000/XP), All POSIX (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes)"

As the OP did not say he used it on a ep121,and on reading the above quotes I asked the question. But should have explained it better.Sorry about that.

Guess its like I tell my grandkids, don't listen to what I say but what I mean.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I think any drive imaging solution that runs off a boot CD is OS-agnostic. When it looks at the hard drive, all it sees is 0s and 1s and nothing else. Please, someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

Regarding the hardware inside the computer, yes! It does need to be compatible with the drivers that were packed inside the LiveCD. But that's rarely a problem. The only compatibility issue I run through with my computers is related to my GPUs. Using the default booting options, Redo boots to a black screen. To get around this conflict, I restart the machine, then, at Redo's boot menu, I pick the Safe Video Mode option (see below).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

e-schreiber
    Thank you for the info,I missed that SourceForge item. That was my main worry,if it worked with Win7 64-bit. That Safe Video Mode tip is a good one to know. Thanks again, george.

5. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

Im downloading Redo right now... thank you all for the input!

6. eyric101

eyric101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using Acronis myself. This morning i did a complete backup to dvd then tried to recover it from my larger drive and one of the dvds was bad. Right before that my 500 gig external hard drive went up. I also couldn't get acronis to not hang/freeze from my main desktop to image from usb to sata to mSata adapter. Really bad morning as you can imagine. I saw Acronis can do it over the network but the Acronis Boot Thumbdrive does not see any network card in the EP121. Any way to do a direct USB to USB connect? LoL aside from going and buying another usb external drive, thats my only hope.

7. dickgreen

dickgreen semi-retired consultant

I have Rebit 5 for my other machines. I created a flash drive Rebit recovery disk for the EP121.
    Rebit 5 works, but the way the pen works when recovery flash drive is booted takes some getting use to.
    I'm a fan of Rebit, and like to use same backup/recovery software for all my machines.

8. Rob_Oppie

Rob_Oppie Pen Pal - Newbie

When booted to a Windows recovery disk, I was able to hot swap my USB keyboard and mouse as needed (in and out of the same USB port).

Also, once booted up, the recovery disk can be removed and replaced with other USB devices.

So I found two USB ports more than enough with no hub needed.

9. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

great, i was worried about it.

thanks rob!

10. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're just taking drive images as backups, dumping your system to an external drive for backup, etc, why not use windows 7's system image tool? Works perfectly.. Can have as many images as you want, choose between them, etc. And it works! Can go from HDD to SSD and vice versa.
    I almost always have boot issues that are a real pain to fix, when using acronis. (tho it's always transferring to a new drive.. I've never used it for a simple backup/restore to the exact same hardware)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.