Best drawing program??

Discussion in 'Software' started by P8RSON, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandTumble

RolandTumble Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not a professional, nor do I play one on TV, so take this for what it's worth....

For digital painting, I really like Twisted Brush. Great "natural media" emulation. It has a sort of quirky UI--based on a "sketchbook" model--that's actually pretty nice once you get used to it. Ken Carlino, the author, also provides excellent support via forum, not to mention new point releases every week or two (mostly feature expansion, so don't get the idea that "if there are releases that often it must be incredibly buggy").

I, too, initially had trouble getting it to run on my Tecra M4 (WinXPTE). Turns out it's really easy. From the Pixarra forum:
    For vector drawing I really like Inkscape. I haven't spent any great amount of time with Illustrator (or any other commercial vector drawing program), but I'm completely happy with Inkscape, and the price it right (it's open source).

One possible problem with both of these (as well as The GIMP, the open-source entry in the Photoshop niche), is that they don't track stylus input correctly when the tablet PC is in Portrait mode. They'll work fine with either of the landscape orientations, and the menus still work in portrait, but trying to draw results in marks being made as if the screen were in landscape mode. Weird. Doesn't bother me at all, since I'm happier working in landscape (even in my lap), but it might be an issue for some folks (ArtRage gets this right, and I haven't tried the majors on this machine, so I know it's possible...).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funny you should mention Twistedbrush, as it was my recommendation here too back on the 23th Sep 2006 (see post 2 above).

I also used to offer the same tip for making the program pressure sensitive.

What a wonder a year makes.. :)

3. RolandTumble

RolandTumble Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I saw your post--mine was by way of a second, though I didn't say that explicitly.

In fact, it was a mention in another thread on this site (I don't remember which), that led me to TB in the first place. May even have been your recommendation.... I'm a perpetual licensee now.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to the Club. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.