best drawing pc\ tablet in 2020 for a struggling artist

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by sola kim, Mar 13, 2020.

1. sola kim

sola kim Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for advice on what device should I purchase to continue my digital art
    I'm a struggling artist\ a broke student
    my budget in no more than 650$ ish
    I work on photoshop mainly and Autodesk sketchbook rarely
    I do comics full color so I use a lot of layers in photoshop

so what can I get best out of my money?

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Because there are so many options, please help us narrow it down for you by filling out the questionnaire: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ust-be-filled-out-to-post-in-this-forum.8052/

things like, "would you buy used? do you want a tablet or convertible? how big would you prefer it? EMR or AES?" etc etc is pretty important stuff before we go recommending devices

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. sola kim

sola kim Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    650$ ish maybe I can go to 800
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    if I'm sure it's clean and will function well then it's okay

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'd prefer something with photoshop but I'm open to all options

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • doesn't matter

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    turkey\austria

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I don't like hp that much

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    at least 4?

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing\Web Surfing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows is the easiest to handle

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop and maybe Autocad is its powerful enugh

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    not really

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference for screen resolution?
    good enough for graphics

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    a pen with good pressure sensitivity
    that's the most important thing

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    254gb if it's a pc
    128gb for tablets

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

not important

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

So with your budget if you want a decent pen and the ability to run Photoshop, we should be looking at used deals on Ebay. There are some great machines from a few years back that have Wacom pens and since you aren't picky about size you will have a lot of options to look up. My concern is what would be available to your region, something I'm not familiar with in terms of international shipping etc..

There have been many devices over the years, here are the more recent Windows 10 ones: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...0-tablets-and-convertibles-with-stylus.67533/
    And here are some older gen devices that will be even cheaper used in the Windows 8 era (usually can still have Windows 10 installed): http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...t-tablets-and-convertibles-with-stylus.52592/

But that is a lot to look through so I'll give you my top picks you might find in your budget to search for used or refurbished if possible:

-Any Surface Pro from 5th gen onward (will probably be hard to find in your price range, but worth looking) If you can handle AES pen tech these things are a good balance of usability and portability. They run photoshop like champs and it sounds like your needs aren't too demanding. I prefer Wacom EMR for a more smooth pen experience, but if you arent already used to EMR (like an intuos or cinitq) then you would likely find the pen to be great for starting out.

-Fujistu T9-- devices. T902 is getting pretty old now and I doubt you'll find one with decent battery life but its still a dream to draw on. Later versions may have some issues with the hinge and they eventually switched to Wacom AES, (subjectively not as smooth, like the Surface Pro) but they can often be found refurbished for amazing prices online. Here is a T935 for instance well within your budget: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Win7-Pro-Fu...379057?hash=item2ced837f71:g:UAsAAOSw--hdE7Bz

-Vaio Z Canvas was also a fantastic drawing machine (AES again) that might be found used in your price range if you get lucky.

I'm sure I am forgetting plenty of other used devices that might work but hopefully other members will chime in with their recommendations.

If you can afford any ipad with pencil (I think they all work with pencil now?) and can hack not using photoshop but are comfortable using Procreate, which is very robust for drawing (especially comic style art) then you may want to consider it as an option as well. Not sure if an pad fits in your budget but perhaps a used ipad pro would? Something to consider if you valued the battery life over the ability to use photoshop.

Aiffe, Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. WuffWuff

WuffWuff Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually you can find quite a few options for that budget, are you looking for a specific screen size and what purposes will you be using it for mainly such as basic sketching/illustrations or professional complex artwork? Also are you looking for a all-in-one or something that connects to your laptop/pc?