Best Desktop Substitute?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by diver110, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diver110

diver110 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a tablet pc that would work well as a desktop substitute for a nongamer, or am I living in a fairy tale?

2. ennui

ennui Pen Pal - Newbie

The Toshiba M750 and Fujitsu T5010 are the most powerful tablets available right now and likely your best options.

3. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Depends. "Non-Gamer Video Editing" is different to "Non-Gamer Word processing"

Havng said that I've had tablets as my "desktop" for several years and include heavy Photoshop use and some lightweight video editing. Mt tablets have handled that very well.

Gordon

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I wouldn't use a tablet as a substitute for a desktop, but if I was forced to, I'd get a docking station, monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse.

5. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

As others have said, it depends what you want to do with it, but my tablet (t5010) is my only computer, which I use at my desk more than half the time, and it's been perfectly fine. I plug in an external monitor (to extend the desktop) and a USB hub with a bunch of peripherals on it.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that's the way I handle it with my T2010.

7. diver110

Thanks for the feedback. I am a nongamer, nonvideoeditor, occasional Photoshop Elements-using, wordprocessing professor. Right now my only computer is a two-year old IBM Thinkpad, with which I am quite happy. At home I hook up a external monitor and keyboard (at school, they give me a desk top).

I may want to use a Tablet in the classroom. The ability to write on it could be very handy.

I gather Tablets, to improve battery life, have less power than comparable notebooks. My girl friend has a Toshiba Tablet that is quite slow, but also quite cheap.

Given my usage, do people think I would be happy with a Tablet, or unduly frustrated?

Many thanks.

8. diver110

P.S. I so sometimes play DVDs on my notebook, so a Tablet that could not do that (I saw some complaints about some Fujitsus stuttering when playing movies) would not work.

9. euquility

euquility Pen Pal - Newbie

the fujitsu issue is not with the tablet hardware, it was bad drivers. It has been remedied now and can easily play DvDs. Both the 4500MHD and 3200HD offer ample power for video playback. Tablets can basically accomplish anything you need except gaming and complex modeling/huge calculations. Since you can basically get the strongest dual core that laptops have to offer on a tablet the only thing better are the quad core 17/18" laptops and of course those with better graphic cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.