Best cases for Venue 8?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BMWBig6, Dec 2, 2013.

1. elyl

elyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that the Dell keyboard is going to come with a replaceable battery that should last "up to a year". I have no idea what size of battery would fit something that thin and last a year, maybe a CR2032 coin-cell? If it genuinely did last a year on a cheap battery, that would be fantastic.

EDIT: Oh well, there goes my scoop:
    http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Laptop_Notebook_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=460-BBHL&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. winimini123

winimini123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the dvp8 wireless keyboard include or convert to a stand for the unit
    And a cover as well? Also is dell the only place to get it? In the past with other devices
    Has it become available elsewhere fast or on at dell?

THANKS

3. mrpd

mrpd Pen Pal - Newbie

my poetic case came today and the dv8p fit like a glove in there . stitching and all look good so barring any misuse on my part it should last a while . now i can take it out of the house .i think it i;; work just fine for what i paid for it .
    mike

4. AMartin56

AMartin56 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm holding out for a cheap (or at least cheaper than the official Targus one) polyurethane case that provides a slight lip over the front of the glass. This and a good screen protector is usually enough protection for me and cases of this type usually add very little bulk. If nothing becomes available I may just roll with a screen protector...I don't see the rubber backing being prone to scratching so a case may not be necessary. I'm not going to buy one of the $50 cases for any reason...companeis need to understand that cases that cost more than about 10% of the price of the device aren't worth it to a lot of people. Hopefully the Venue Pro becomes popular enough for us to see a flood of cheap Chinese cases.

5. winimini123

winimini123 Scribbler - Standard Member

i bought it from the dell site and used this 15% off coupon QG3G$33HH3QP0?

6. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have access to all the ports/buttons while in the poetic?

7. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any cases that cover the screen bezels are going to be awful with Windows 8. Try swiping in for Charms, running programs, etc with a covered bezel. Not gonna work really well. What we need are the snap-on backs with a flip cover ala the iPad smart covers.

Besides these chunky little cases really kill one of the best part of these things, the slimness wow factor. Just my opinion of course, but I'd be looking for something much slimmer, and with no bezel coverage.

8. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

This looks to be the same cover, but a little less expensive ($19.99) for Prime members with much faster shipping. Do note that it's not actually sold by Amazon.com, but a vendor, so it could be a hassle if there's a problem with it.
    Amazon.com: VSTN® Dell Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) ultra-thin Smart Cover Case, Only fit DELL Venue 8 Pro windows 8.1 tablet (For Dell Venue 8 Pro, Black): Computers & Accessories
    [​IMG]

9. JayByrd

JayByrd Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my Targus case yesterday. I am very impressed. Assembly was not like the simple case from Dell, but more complicated.
    Every orifice, except for the cameras, is covered to keep out the elements. The button covers operate very well. There is a flip down cover for the USB/Power, as well as for the 3.5 mm headphone jack. The speakers have slits, but have a piece of cloth to cover the actual holes on the unit. I had to use some finesse to get the headphone jack protector to feed back through the case during the initial install. Once I did, the top snapped correctly in place, and the headphone jack flap worked properly.

It has a clear screen protector which still allows for accurate touch screen operation.
    The stylus has an adjustable elastic band on the rear that holds the pen, without depressing the button.
    The snaps do stay in place with continual handling.

I did not purchase the case for the stand, but I have found it to be very worthy of the term HEAVY DUTY.
    Inserting the stand into the back can be tricky, like putting the back on my Tom Tom GPS.
    It takes some strong finger muscles to unsnap the stand from the case.

My wife has the light weight folio case from Dell. She really likes the stand because it holds the tablet in a more upright position.. I purchased this small easel style stand for her for $6 yesterday. Amazon.com: Black Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry PlayBook and All Other 7-10 Inchs Tablet PCs: Computers & Accessories

10. mrpd

mrpd Pen Pal - Newbie

yes , you do . fit really well as i said earlier .
    mike

11. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like it could be a good fit, seeing as they have an actual Dell in there will all the proper cutouts. If quality holds up would be near perfect, apart from lacking a stylus holder.

12. leaftye

Good catch on the stylus holder. That should be easily remedied with a sewing needle and loop of elastic webbing.

13. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Another poetic question: looks like only part of the black bezel at the screen edges is exposed. Any issues with using the W8 swipe gestures to close charms, etc?

14. mrpd

mrpd Pen Pal - Newbie

had for couple of days now use a bt mouse with mine so basically not swiping as much anymore . i do swipe to shut down and access settings and not having any problems at all .
    mike

15. mpholic

mpholic Pen Pal - Newbie

Swiping for Charms in landscape mode is simple since there is actually a cutout for that specific reason. Charm swiping in portrait mode can be somewhat of a pain, the material is not wide enough for a cutout here.

16. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Looking for something that comes as close as possible to the touch covers for the Surface. Has anyone seen anything like this?

17. phenglie

phenglie Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow that's actually pretty sleek and nice. I'd pick it up and cancel my Dell Folio order, but I'm just not keen on the metal tab resting on the screen bezel through.

18. leaftye

I went ahead and ordered it. I should have ordered it earlier since now it's out of stock until December 15th. At least it's using Amazon fulfillment with 2 day delivery, so it should be here in a week instead of up to a month if shipped directly from the vendor.

19. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  20. mpholic

mpholic Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe it was ever in stock, I've been following it pretty close and up till now it only said preorder available. I'm going to order one too and compare it to my Poetic case.