Best case for Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by RZetlin, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggoldfingerd

ggoldfingerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm leaning toward a sleeve / carrying case and some type of adhesive covering such as the Stickerboy. I would try and get the color of the skins to either match the color of the SP2, or go with a carbon fiber appearance. I don't want to use a screen protector. Anyone have any skin recommendations other than the Stickerboy ones?

2. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

3. ninjaxtreme

ninjaxtreme Pen Pal - Newbie

I did. Type 2 keyboard becomes unresponsive though when you put it on. Just take out the two small magnets top left and right and the type 2 keyboard will work (that is if you use the surface type 2 keyboard).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. RZetlin

Is there a pen holder with the case?

5. Lomir

Lomir Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes there is one.
    Concerning the problem with the type cover not funtioning: You only have to remove the upper left magnet. As a prove you can detect the magnet on the original type/touch cover by using a paperclip. This magnet in the keyboard tells the SF that the cover is 'closed'. If you use a surface without keyboard, there is no need for removing it. Of course, if you use the type/touch-cover together with the Moko rotatory case you have to remove the very little magnet by doing a small lateral cut to the Moko Cover (inside) where you can feel the tiny peace of metal,

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. pkasepro

pkasepro Pen Pal - Newbie

7. RZetlin

I just received the MoKo Rotatory Detachable Type case.

The case consist of two components: the sleeve and the front cover.

The sleeve slides into the Surface Pro 2 protecting the back and sides. The sleeve still allows access to the side ports and fan ventilation. There is an elastic fabric pen holder for the stylus.

When the Surface Pro 2 is inside the sleeve, the built-in kick stand cannot be used. To resolve this, the sleeve has it's own kick stand that can be set to one position.

The sleeve also have a built-in strap so that you can hold the Surface Pro 2 with one hand. There is also a elastic band to secure the front cover.

The front cover snaps to the back of the sleeve and it provides protection for the Surface Pro 2 screen. The front cover is removable.

The front cover allows 3 different viewing angles including the option to place the Surface Pro 2 in a portrait position.

There are magnets on the front cover, so the cover will stand shut without the use of the elastic band.

While the case does provide general protection against dirt, it does make the Surface Pro 2 thicker.

The front cover does really add extra bulk to the Surface so it might be good enough to use the sleeve and type/touch cover for proteciton.

8. Lomir

Lomir Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to be mentioned: I had some heat issues with the Moko Rotatory cover but the heat issue could also have to do with microsoft's firmware upgrade mess (mid-dezember+). The 2 fans of the Surface are located in the upper corners where the Moko Rotatory cover has got some holes for the airflow, but, nonetheless, sometimes the Surface became too hot. I had these issues while using Bluestacks (that also uses a lot of energy = faster battery consumption).
    I'll test again next week. I think that the firmware patches of this week fixed the messy firmware upgrades (not going to sleep, overheat, etc.). The surface seems not to become that warm as it did earlier.

In my theory, the backcover of the Moko Rotatory cover causes the heat due to it's material that is not really heat-dissipating. The micro fluffy (grey) material could obstruct some of the (metal) heat-dissipating (body) funtionality of the Surface's original metal backcover.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  9. RZetlin

Just to clarify there are two magnets located at the top of the sleeve.

The Type Cover does not power back on when the Surface is placed into sleep mode or restarted. The magnets seem to interfere with the Surface sensors.

You have two options:
    1) Slightly lift up the top of the sleeve to turn on the Type Cover.
    2) Take out the two magnets with a cutter. (You should be able to feel were the magnets are).

10. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought I should enter my case in the mix here.. I have been actively supplying TPCR members with my cases for years with a proven track record.. The Surface Pro is my latest. Here is a demo of my last prototype of the FlipSteady for the Surface Pro. Let me know what you think! Im starting production next week to make about 40 of these.

[video=youtube;S8GFlRZeocI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8GFlRZeocI&list=UUQapojdb58NHELLVWdzq8BQ&feature=c4-overview[/video]

The Production model is Black Suede and Leather.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly

DRTigerlilly and ninjaxtreme like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.