Best Buy's ARCHIE: One disc to **** block them all?.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christian m h

christian m h Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering why best buy doesn't have tablet pc's, Best Buy is like the first stop shop of electronics in the area, yet Fry's and Micro Center have the only actual selections. Theres a cute asian girl, Christine I believe, pretty much knows everything I have looked at now, says they only had a TX1499 a long time ago, but otherwise points to their online store for tablets.

Where have you seen Fujitsu sales outlets?

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Umm, in Singapore... Don't know about US though.

3. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I surprisingly had a worse experience. I went to check out the tx2110us before buying a 2500z (just to get the touchscreen/digitizer experience). I played with the swivel screen a bit and the webcam. Then, I realized the touchscreen wasn't working. I figured it was ARCHIE, so I went to talk to the guy. I told them I would like to try using it with the pen. The guy told me that they didn't have the pen. I told him that the laptop obviously came with a pen, and that they had to have done something with it. He told me they removed it so that it doesn't get stolen. This made me particularly confused, since they were apparently hiding it from themselves so no one else could use it. I then explained that the touchscreen and digitzer are different, and that their ARCHIE software is likely blocking the touchscreen. The response?
    "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do about that." At this point, I could see that this kid was going to be of no help to me. I was going to take it to his manager, but then my sister got back from the CD aisle, and we had places to go. I asked the guy before I left, "Don't you think it's stupid that you put a tablet PC on display for people to try out, yet you disable all of its tablet features?" It's like going to test drive a car and finding that the spark plugs have been removed and the steering wheel has been taken off. The guy just shrugged and I walked away with a couple colorful words under my breath.

The next day I drove 35 minutes to the nearest circuit city with the tablet. After a decent wait (one firedog guy with three people buying computers), I was able to try the touchscreen and pen. It was great! I went home and ordered the 2500z for $500 off. =)

4. southernbrat

southernbrat Pen Pal - Newbie

One question is still unanswered and that is how to you rid the computer of this "Archie" when you don't have an install disc???

What I did is create the recovery disc and wiped their junk clean to restore the computer to the HP factory settings.

Guess what, Archie came back with the recovery disc.

Am I stuck with this junk??

or

Do I go pitch a fit for the uninstall disc????
    Chances are slim I am going to get that.
    Sounds like a disc made of gold.

The program has to go, any advice.

Thanks.
    Brat

5. southernbrat

southernbrat Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I go into the program guts and find something to delete to disable it?

6. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

It all depends on who's manning the register.

A few days ago I tried to get a tx2500 I bought at Circuit City price matched. Of course the arse basically said "tough shizz no wai jose!" (and this was exactly a DAY later). I was royally pissed.

I brought it back to demand an refund and prepped up a angry rant ready and everything.

But when I got there the new guy just said okay, yes, and handed my money back it felt amazing....

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You are better off using a Vista install DVD and reinstalling Vista using the keycode on the bottom of your machine. HP, I believe still uses keycodes that allow such reinstall. Toshiba I have found out recently, does not allow for that. Reinstalling Vista will definitely get rid of ARCHIE, and make for a better user experience, given that you install all the drivers correctly.

As for where you can get a Vista install DVD, see if you can borrow one.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

google for Orev's ABR and use that to backup the current key & activation before you reinstall the machine, much easier process.

9. Mastaan

Mastaan Pen Pal - Newbie

Future Shop

10. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

Meh. I live in California, and when Fry's opened a store near me, I got really excited. 3-4 years later, I can't stand to go in there anymore. It's fine for things where the price is set in stone (like video games. New video game will run you 50 or 60 bucks, anywhere, even online), but they overcharge SOOOO much on almost anything else worth buying. Occasionally, you can find a nice deal for something under $50, but if you're looking to buy any sort of computer parts or a new computer, forget it. Do newegg.com. You'll end up spending at LEAST 30% more at Fry's.

And I've noticed almost identical customer "service" at Fry's and Best Buy. No knowledge, terrible terrible return policy, and the occasional BS to get the customer to buy the product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.