Best Business Tablet PC

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by snoggin, Dec 2, 2007.

1. roberto31469

roberto31469 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking into purchasing a "business" tablet pc primarily for field use for entering test data at jobsites. Are there recommendations as to which tablet pc is durable, lightweight, with good visual projection in poor lighting as well as direct sunlight, easy to enter hand written data for transfer to excel for manipulation, with good overall computing power to act as primary computer running mostly office suite

Any help is appreciated!

2. tradesman

tradesman Pen Pal - Newbie

Excellent question.
    I hope you have more luck than the psycho-analysis I received.
    My question was concerning business use for trading research.
    Transfering hand writing to Excel sounds pretty useful.
    Tradesman (last post 11/'14/2007)

3. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

Your needs can be achieved with any recent tablet pc, though I recommend the Fujitsu T2010 due to its quality, portability and viewing angles [if you were to get an indoor/outdoor screen]. With the entering of hand written data into excel for manipulation, it may be achievable with software,although, whether it is sophisticated enough or not, that is debatable. Perhaps it is possible with a Microsoft Access form but clearly that lacks the formulae manipulation that Excel has.

4. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

You have requirement for the tablet to be used at jobsites; meaning long battery life is essental as AC power may not be convenient or restrict your mobility. This calls for a low-powered tablet to achieve long battery life.

Also, you want a machine to be light-weight; I assume you intend to cradle the machine in 1 arm over extended period.

Using it under direct sunlight would mean a matte surface screen is more appropriate as it gives lower glare.

As for your need for durability (combined with lightness) I would suggest to you machine(s) equipped with magnesium-alloy chassis with harddrive 3D shock sensor for added data protection.

The above will point towards a tablet utilising low-powered processor. However, you also want to use that machine as your primary computer; this means more computing power is preferred.

Depending on the intensity and amount of muti-tasking you intend, your last requirement above may be less suitable for a low-powered processor tablet. In this case, one that comes with a Core 2 Duo processor can be a solution.

I would suggest :

a) The ThinkPad X61t.
    It meets the above requirements and it uses the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV running at 1.6GHz, making it amongst the fastest of all low-powered tablets, given that you want it as your primary computer.

There were known instances that the screen bezel of the ThinkPad X61t becomes loose. They belong to the minority cases and such a problem -- if it ever occurs -- can be addressed by Lenovo.

Click :
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

b) The HP Compaq 2710p.
    This model belongs to the well made business series; not to confuse this model will those budget Pavilion series which you are likely to have heard much problems.

However, the HP Compaq 2710p only uses the Intel® Core™2 Duo ULV processor U7600 running at 1.20 GHz, which is slower than the ThinkPad X61t.

Click :
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...95-321838-306995-3355644-3355645-3457379.html

NOTE : Both these tablets do NOT come with built-in optical drive(s) for the need to cut down on weight and bulk. External USB optical drive(s) can be used if need be.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you really want to use it in direct sunlight no convertible tablet will manage this satisfactorily
    At the moment the brightest convertible is the Fujtisu LifeBook T2010 with Indoor/Outdoor screen, which is also fast enough for everything you're planning to do with it and it has very long battery life.
    Dell releases in the near future their first convertbile tablet which is available with an outdoor screen. According to some sites the outdoor screen will be about twice as bright as the T2010 screen. But I would wait for a review ;)

Another option would be a slate which provides a much better and brighter display in direct sunlight, e.g. Motion Computing.

6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the Motion LE 1700 SXGA+ has the same display as the Thinkpad x61t.

Much better in sunlight are transflective displays, as some of the Fujitsu Stylistics offer.

7. snoggin

snoggin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an X60 T which I use in the construction field and have had for a little ove ra year now. I have not babied it and it works great. I use no screen protector and while there are some noticeable wear and scratches they are not really noticeable when the screen is on.. I am not a fanatic about it.. I have the multi-touch multi view screen and find it to be very useable outdoors except maybe on te brightest days in direct sun but still viewable just not comfortable.. the ability to interact thru the multitouch I find very useful..

I will say that the biggest use I have for mine is email etc I have a broadband card , and the ability to have all my job documents accesible and to view transmittlas and what not in the field . i dont really use the tablet functions as much as I thought I might with the pen etc .. but it is worth it for the fact of being able to use the machine with it folded in half on the car seat. I can use all the button functions with my finger just fine after a bit of experimentation.