best backpack?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ria, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen a lot of cases, business style bags, and portfolios, but what about a backpack for a college student?

As a student, hauling around my books is pretty essential... Now those messenger bags leave me walking around practically bent over sideways... So a good backpack is a must... but still being price conscious, although this is something I don't want to skip on. Keep in mind that there are some days I honestly couldn't fit any more books in my jansport backpack even if I tried.

So, what's the best backpack that can fit/protect a 12.1" tablet, fit a bunch of books, and not be so big that I look like a little kid wearing a backpack two sizes too big.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would check out the Targus lineup. Also, check out http://www.ebags.com - you are bound to find all osrts of deals there.

3. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

I love my Spire backpack. I've carried around my books and laptop in it for almost a year now without a problem

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

Check out timbuk2 bags....they have a huge assortment of backpacks and those messenger bags you don't like. But some of the backpacks are designed for laptops and books Anyway the website is:

www.timbuk2.com

5. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

6. ToddLarson5

ToddLarson5 Pen Pal - Newbie

My oakley bag with labtop pouch is my best purchase since my x41 this thing is great it seems to disapear when its on my back. Its amazing and you won't believe it till you put one on.
    It fits my X41 great with extra space but i'm not sure if its big enough for some of the larger laptops you might have to check before you pick one up.

7. Jerome

Jerome Pen Pal - Newbie

Another vote for Targus here.
    I have 2 of their bags and they are exceptionally high quality - never had an issue with damage whilst using Targus bags.

8. Jammin

Jammin Pen Pal - Newbie

Burton makes some solid backpacks and many have laptop compartments. I checked a few out at a local outdoor shop and they are build very solid. Give 'em a look: http://store.burton.com/Bags/Packs.jsp?bmUID=1171981331939.

Hope that helps!

PS ~ I'm a college student myself and as soon as I get the $$$ will be investing in one of these bad boys... :D

9. flashback87

flashback87 Pen Pal - Newbie

oakley icon 2.0 hands down. its on the expensive side, but worth every penny.

10. ParisAsta

ParisAsta Dell XT2

I have bought OGIO Laptop bags, and my laptop is still in one piece. Not only does it not only have a separate place for my laptop, but it also has enough room for all of my books.. I paid about 80 dollars for the bag, but I am sure you may be able to find a better place to buy it, other than a school bookstore.

http://www.ogio.com/products.php?category=41

I own three OGIO bags, one for my laptop, one as a backpack I used before I bought a laptop, and one as a purse type thing. I just love them :)

11. Dev1ant

Dev1ant Pen Pal - Newbie

Heys, booq, Northern Face

12. Pademelon

Pademelon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using a Targus Slam (http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=RGS012) and it's amazing. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be though. However, space galore seriously plus lots of organization features. I'd recommend Targus bags in general for the quality though. I'm REALLY hard on backpacks and this one's stood up better than most of the brands I've tried. They can be a little expensive but there are lots of good deals on them online. I found the Slam for $130AU in an office supply place in town but bought it for $58AU with free shipping online so it does pay to look around.

13. Slidje

Slidje whats a slidje?

Slappa Spyder Velocity. I nicknamed it the Tardis because its just so immense inside. It will easily swallow a 17 inch laptop, a change of clothes, an A4 folder, my entire pen, pencil and marker collection, DSLR.
    Its the bag i take on weekend trips with all the above and more stuffed inside. Im using a 12 inch laptop now which frees up more space for the charger and an external hard drive.

Its extremely well made, with scuba type rubbery coating on the outside and the inside is extremely soft velvet sort of fabric. There are more nooks, crannies, pockets meshes than you will know what to do with.

14. sixstringstinger

sixstringstinger Pen Pal - Newbie

Slidje thanks for the note about Slappa. I checkout out the site and decided to pick up the pro tour backpack and a couple of dvd cases. I am so pleased with this new backpack and dvd cases. I have a 15" maingear ex-L 15 and it fits like a glove. the dvd cases, well I've never seen any disc cases that are such high quality. overall I'm thrilled that you pointed out the Slappa bags. thanks

15. Jas23

Jas23 Newbie from DC

As a college student you'll be best off getting a bag that doesn't scream "I have an expensive tablet/laptop inside!"

It's unfortunate, but college campuses are often targets for computer theft...so if you can get a regular backpack (not too flashy) and put a tablet sleeve in there, that is the best way to go.

16. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

17. Pademelon

Pademelon Pen Pal - Newbie

I just picked up a new bag because I needed one a little smaller than the Targus Slam I've been using. I bought an STM Rogue Small and it's seriously the best backpack I've ever owned. The laptop pocket is "hidden" so it's not an obvious laptop bag. It's really comfortable to wear. The quality is superb and it comes with a rain cover that tucks into the bottom of the bag well enough that it essentially disappears. I can get my laptop (a tx2500z with an 8 cell battery), a power cord and a couple of big biology texts into the main compartment. It's got three smaller compartments on top of that, a removable mobile phone sleeve on one of the straps and a padded removable sleeve for an mp3 player. So yeah, overall a really awesome bag.

18. JordanN

JordanN Pen Pal - Newbie

You might consider using a Pelican Hardback case and an ordinary backpack, if you want to stay low profile but still have adequate protection.

19. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you use a large bag with a smaller laptop safely? I have a 12.1", so I'm worried that it might be too loosely held by these enormous 15"+ bags. Any backpacks out there specifically for this size?

20. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I haven't seen a small backpack with adequate padding. I think the best bet may be to turn your tablet sideways (hinge down) in the pocket. That's what I used to do with my MobileEdge backpack. It fit perfectly like that.