best antivirus for duo

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by bern_arc, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bern_arc

bern_arc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys. I know that duo and every windows 8 devices come with pre-installed windows defender which is an anti virus program.
    all of you installed another third party antivirus program, such as bitdefender, kaspersky, or the free one.???

is windows defender are.capable of defending our computer from.any viruses, malwares,??

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is windows defender are.capable...>>

...Yes. Many of us believe that you don't need any additional third-party AV software.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Your behaviour online is much more important than the brand of antivirus you use. Also, uninstall Java if you don't use it and set up a Standard User Account. Both MS Security Essentials and MS Defender are fine. I use the former on the 3 machines I own.

4. jemyclarke

jemyclarke Pen Pal - Newbie

The simplest thing you can do is get a very good antivirus and antispyware program installed and keep it running all the time. I think kaspersky is the best for Duo because My sister use this antivirus in her tablet and it works very well.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Clinto

Clinto Pen Pal - Newbie

I use McAfee and really like it. If you do a search online, before you click on the link, McAfee shows it in Green for good, Yellow for probably not good and Red for don't go there, it's infected. So.. even if you know the site it "naughty", McAfee tells you if it's safe or not. Plus, McAfee is better at finding updates for my Duo 11 than Sony or Windows, which is super nice.

McAfee Rocks!

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've used quite a few, Norton, McAfee, AVG, Trend Micro, Panda (few others over the years) and the one I switched to was Avast. It seamed to use the least amount of system resources and doesn't bog my Duo (and other PC's) down at all. I've never tried Kaspersky, but have read/heard that it's also a solid choice. But after using the free version of Avast for a while, I liked it so much and it ran so well, I became a paying customer, and purchased a 3 license volume package.

But I couldn't agree more with e-schreiber in that your surfing habits trump the protection you use. I think it's most appropriate for my wife's and my kids PC's since I can't control their surfing habits as much as I'd like, even with managing the content they can see. And I also agree with Steve S. I know several people (myself included on one of my tablets, ATIV 500T) that simply use the built in defense. Why bog a device (especially one sporting an Atom processor) down with additional resource hungry programs. Especially those as hungry as Anti Virus programs. With an i3, this too, may be the best way for you to go.

7. Pommie

Pommie Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I ended up installing Trend Micro Titanium on mine as I get a free license with work. Couldn't find MSE or anything else on it when I tried looking through all programs. Missed the Trend Micro installation file on the desktop... Anyone know how to uninstall the original trend installation file that came on it along with MSE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.