Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

1. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

*edit:
    @AvalonX
    I've just see the powermate in action from this video. It was not actually the smoothness by my definition. You can do the same thing with a controller + XPadder. Set a button to Turbo mode (i.e. repeated key-press mode) in XPadder and you're set.

----------------
    Must be this post (I was about to do a search and just realised it was posted in this very thread :D)

I'm afraid it has nothing on smooth zoom as @AvalonX wanted. You can push the stick on the nav controller as a repeated key-press to zoom in/out, but the zoom will still be incremental i.e. not "smooth". I'm really surprised that the powermate can do that though.

Btw the bit with MontioninJoy is far outdated btw. If anyone is using the nav or normal ps3 controller, please consider this XInput wrapper to save tremendous headache.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome guys, thanks!

3. joora

joora Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to add my two cents to this discussion...

I'm on a lookout for a mini keyboard/controller for work on Surface Pro 4. So far every solution has a caveat. I was leaning most towards the move controller, but I didn't want all the quirks and hassle to get it to work. Then I've remembered my old Wii, and the old Wiimotes that I had laying around.

Connecting was a breeze, since it's able to pair from the default windows bluetooth settings. For ID-ing and initial setup of the controller I've used WiinUSoft (most of the other software is either old and disontinued or doesn't work on Win10 properly). Since WiinUSoft can only bind the keys to X-Box controller, I needed to do a workaround -> I've binded the Wiimotes keys to emulate the xbox controller and then I've binded all the shortcuts to xbox controller using Keysticks. Keysticks is very powerful and offer loads of customization, but unfortunatelly it isn't free (it's free to try). If anyone knows a similar software for binding keyboard shortcuts to xbox controller that is free or cheaper than Keysticks, please let me know.

Anyway, the initial tests are positive, the thing works without a hitch. Got a keypad without spending a dime (yet) :)

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

...or, really, any pen with an extra button. Map the pen button to Alt+Right Mouse Button (or whatever your PS shortcut for on-the-fly size changing is), and you get not just size control, but hardness as well.

I might be interested if the brushknob had more than one other button! As it stands, I get frustrated being limited to "only" 10 buttons on the Impulse controller.