Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I finally came up with my ideal programmable button set up for my Modbook pro. I so badly wanted a Wacom Expresskey Remote after they announced they would be selling it as an accessory on its own, and was really bummed to find that Wacom went out of their way to make sure it was not functional for the tablet PC crowd.

So recently, I made my own makeshift Expresskey remote. I picked up one of these little fellas here: http://www.amazon.com/Impulse-Universal-Controller-Smartphones-Computers/dp/B00GOKV98M

I then ordered some microsuction tape: https://sewelldirect.com/articles/microsuction.aspx

All I had to do was remap the controllers functions with ControllerMate for OSX, and cut out a piece of the microsuction tape to adhere to the back of the controller (cutting out holes for the back trigger buttons) and I now have a shortcut remote that I can attach and detach easily from my Modbook without worrying about having any adhesives on my Modbook (like I would if I tried to use tape or velcro)

IMG_2988.JPG image1.JPG IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2994.JPG

fishdavis and stoneseeker like this.
  2. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Controllermate is great! If you haven't used it before, a great couple things you can do is set the buttons to separate functions for single, double, triple, or even 4 presses. Or separate for regular press and long press. I also set functions to 2 button combos. And like the wacom keys, you can have separate functions for different active applications. Controllermate is essential to my workflow.

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. Yuureikun

I didn't realize you could set things for different active applications, I will need to look more into that!

4. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

The Controllermate forum has great examples you can use.

5. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Yuureikun, I gotta say thank you for filling a huge void in my life! I had been looking for something small like dimple.io that worked via bluetooth, in Windows, to no avail.

I saw your post and ordered one of those little impulse bluetooth controllers for my Helix and it is a dream not having to call up menus all the time just to switch tools, colors, etc. It is unfortunate that you can't actually assign shortcuts to the keys, but AutoHotKey picked up the slack just fine for me. I can finally paint continuously in fullscreen in Photoshop!

6. Yuureikun

The dimple io thing would be fantastic, but this controller feels like the next best thing. I have been happily plugging away with mine and love it. It's definitely given my Modbook that more Cintiq like experience with the express keys. I am glad my find could help someone else out!

7. Tsukiko Valkyrie

Tsukiko Valkyrie Pen Pal - Newbie

oouu, so many options in here for accessories for tablets XD i may have to chase up some of these. Need to see about getting the ps3 nav controller to work :)

I currently use this yoke below. It's an Ion mini foldable usb controller (seems hard to get nowadays). It has a total of 16 buttons (2 sets of 4 directions and 2 sets of 2 shoulder buttons). The thing is tiny, i can actually fit it unfolded in my unused hand and can reach/access all 16 buttons easily with fingers or thumbs (i use for zoom, rotate canvas, un-re-do, brush size and brush opacity and some spare buttons). I love this little thing, though i'm gonna see what the other suggestions are like here , esp that wireless impulse controller O.0
    (p.s. not my hand, a stock image from amazon it seems haha)
    [​IMG]

8. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I got a PS3 DS3 working and I was hoping to use the analog sticks for zooming in and out but it only does it in increments like a buttons push. I have a powermate knob and that allows a smooth zooming/brush adjustment. Do any of these other solutions allow that?

9. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

In Photoshop you can hold ctrl + space and drag the mouse/pen to zoom, alt and right-click drag to change brush size. I set a dedicated button on the ps3 nav controller for the first combo.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I thought there was a way to get the stick pressure recognized in a certain game controller software, but I can't remember now where I read that. Some where on here somebody wrote a really thorough write up on setting up the nav controller, try searching PS3 numchuck or PS3 move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.