Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I look forward to your first dance lessons! Thanks for letting me know that these work with OpenGL now. I will put in my order.

So you have the Xpress (5 button) model? Or the pro (15 button)...?

2. michaelws

Just ordered the Shuttle Pro 2 through Amazon.

3. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep! That would be me.

Here's my setup with an Asus EP121, Razer Nostromo and Manga Studio 5:

[​IMG]

stoneseeker and azelll like this.
  4. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

cool! I love all those accessories :)
    I always wondered what's on the side of the Nostromo, is it a directional pad?

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Very cool! Man I miss that beautiful tablet in some ways. Such a nice big screen for a slate... something special about the ep121, just sadly under-powered for my uses.
    I almost got the Nostromo but opted for the Logitech G13 instead. It has more buttons (essential for my animation software) but is way bigger and bulkier. Razer makes nice stuff.

6. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, it's a d-pad. I got it bound to things like pan, zoom and rotate.

Tell me about it... I really love this thing, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth.
    Those 5000x7000 comics I'm doing are really pushing the little guy to his limits. Also, brushes above 300px start lagging quite a bit, depending on brush settings of course.
    I actually hit 100% memory usage a few times with those 4gigs of ram. I got real scared but it Manga Studio handled it just fine.
    If only Asus would make a proper successor, but it seems they have no interest in that.

7. michaelws

I am ordering the Cintiq Companion but am holding on to my EP121. It has been a great little slate...even with only 4gb it has muscled through many a canvas with Corel Painter.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

So I'm decided not to give the PS Controller a try as it seems just not fun to set it up... (Sorry, I'm just too lazy to do all that...)

I'm playing around with this instead:
    [​IMG]

It may not help to guys like Steve B, as he says it's critical for his use to have a 3-button array. And then, there is Photoshop with their so-many shortcuts that include combinations with Shift/Ctrl/Alt. The button are a bit too small and although combinations may be possible, you may have to use both hands. Nonetheless, combinations like Ctrl+Z is easy to achieve as I can just swipe both keys with my big thumb at the same time (see pic, keys are horizontally stacked together):
    [​IMG]

Main observations
    The RF receiver gets housed in the back when you're not using it; it's pretty small so it won't be in your way when connected to your tab.

The keys are not that clicky-clacky as I expected, which is good. They are not hard at all to click, and there is good tactile feedback when pressing them (It's a lenovo).

Although for art, I haven't yet found any use for the following, it may be of use for other that use PS, SAI, Zbrush, or any app I don't use on my tab: It has a right/left click buttons, it has a trackpad (like those on your BlackBerry mobiles), and it has a scrolling area on the upper side on the handle (You can see a column of horizontal lines on that area of the handle),

It's pretty light although it uses 2 AA batteries to power it (I guess most of the weight is distributed to the handle). There is a backlit and non-backlit model (I have the backlit one and it's bright enough). Function keys are not there as single keys, so you have to use an Fn key in combination with something else. So far I haven't found any way to record macros with the Fn keys (would be awesome), I guess you can do it with the the same software you use for PS controller, but then again, I'm too lazy to find out. Build quality is really good - I mean, it's not that cheap and it's a lenovo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Hey what about this?
    [​IMG]

I saw it advertised on the website. The FrogPad2 seem to have an aluminum build and according to the website it can record macros and hotkeys and it's pretty compact (the size of your num keypad).
    [​IMG]
    Cool huh? The price ain't so cool tho. It costs 150 bones.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

cool looking pad, is it back lit? For less functionality than the G13 which is much less (same as the Nostromo) the only thing it really has going for it is the smaller form, which is quite important. I'm curious how it works though. the nice thing about the G13 is there is no need to hold 2 buttons at once EVER, it looks like ole froggy pad there makes heavy use of modifier keys instead of new macros mode switches. Hard to say without realy trying it though. If I found it used at a good price I would try it but I would rather get a fancier looking gaming pad for less than fork out full price for that.

If the G13 was somehow half the size with the same functionality, I would have the perfect accessory.