Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Cleft, THANK YOU for this super helpful post! I'm gonna have to try this again when I get a chance!!

Steve, save it for when you have more time and patience to invest, and no pressure of impending projects looming over your head stressing you out. It can wait till a more opportune time to try it!
    You'll get the T902 into perfection mode eventually, it just takes a while to get it set up perfectly for you. It took me a year or so, and I'm still tweaking stuff.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Your perspective is probably right, but I'm nothing if not stubborn. Part of the reason I was pushing so hard is that I want to be able to work in the field without having to use my x200t. After my last experiment with t902, it became clear that it was not going to be a functional substitute for fieldwork. Partly it is the fact that I can't run Sketchup Pro, since I don't have scroll wheel. However, part of the problem was that the screen is just too reflective. Anyways, it became clear that if I was going to be able to keep the t902 for work at home in my office, I was going to need a new alternative for doing my fieldwork, instead of using my current x200t. So, using this device has a pretty direct correlation to whether I'm going to be able to keep the t902 as my primary power horse desktop replacement or not.

I also want to send in my x200t for repairs, I need to have a different way to make my basemaps in the meantime. So, in a weird sort of way, if I want any of this stuff to move forward I have to find some sort of alternative solution. Thus, my incredible frustration trying to get this device to work yesterday. I currently have something ridiculous like three or four Tablet PCs in my office, while I try to figure out which ones I'm keeping in which ones I'm selling. !!! Lol!

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Alright! I got it! :D It never would have happened without you Cleft.

I uninstalled 7.0 and installed 6.0005 instead. I then chose the PS3 for the Profile, and then went to its Device Manager and downloaded the new drivers. I then went to try and use xpadder, but found that the stick was unresponsive, while the Dpad, buttons, and trigger work. I then followed your instructions and reopened the DS3 tool (MotioninJoy) and clicked the "enable" button. That then solved the problem, which allowed me to use the stick in xpadder.

I tried it out with your profile as a tester, and it works in PS. Yay! Now, I can go about trying out this device to see what I think. I have a number of programs I'd like to use it with on my slate. Does anyone know if it's Win8 compatible? If not, I'll probably just downgrade, if need be.....

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm glad it helps :D

Although the profile is named photoshop, you can actually try it out in any softwares (unless you had specified which profile for which with AutoProfile in Xpadder). The little device is surprisingly great indeed but to be honest I'm still looking for better solutions which is more like what the Wacom Cintiq Companion provides. Really wish that koide's script and the variations (ArtDock, slatepal etc) could work flawlessly on other tablets *sigh*

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I read that the Shuttle Pro 2 had compatibility issues with opengl at one time. I am interested in picking one up for use with Corel Painter and or Photoshop CC but it would be worthless if it did not function with those two...primarily with Painter X3.

Does anyone know about this or is there a website that has more current info on this? Thanks.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Try PMing Azell, he/she owns one. (Shuttle Pro)

7. michaelws

Thanks stoneseeker..I will do that now.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Amazon has some of those mini keyboard (mini version of a full size kb) the size of a tv remote or cell phone.

I wonder if it would be better to use those. All keys available, no software to install a they are plug and play, compact size; what do you think?

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

9. michaelws

I have one and found it awkward to use simply because it had so many small keys. I know that sounds funny but I like that the shuttle has only 15 plus the dial. I always had to take my eyes off my painting to make sure I hit the right keys...and, there again, if I can program a button to perform in a single click what would normally take two keys, such as ctrl+v, then that is easier also.

Maybe I am spoiled but I found it cumbersome to use the tiny keyboard for shortcuts.

10. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi michaelws, how you doing?
    I PM you and I decided to add a message here too.

I use Photoshop CS6 all day long and is great for it, I own the small black version of the shuttle, so I don't know if the previous versions had problems with it.
    As for the setting you can make your own macros for every software you have, I did mine for Manga Studio, Artrage, Mypaint, Sai and I also use it for the browser and Zbrush, I really recommend it! There are probably plenty lightly used on ebay ... Actually I think I'm going to buy another one for my other tablet :)

Some people like to use the Razer Nostromo too, and I tried a joypad before, but it doesn't seem very ergonomic too me :-/

actually I saw a bunch of those dance carpet (like a joypad but you can use it with your feet) at Goodwill for 3$ and I think I'm going to try some new dancing painting move combo with it, hahaha If it works I will post something on youtube :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    balistic and stoneseeker like this.