Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have purchased the PS3 Navigation Controller, and am trying to set it up. Following the instructions that cleft made, I have gone to the page he linked to. It wants me to pick a button setup/picture that represents my controller on this page. I'm looking for things like "Navigation Controller" or "PS3" or some such thing. Does anyone have any input on this? I can't seem to find the controller in the list.

edit-

oops, found it. My window wasn't fully expanded, and the list I needed seemed to not be there. It is now. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

please share your findings. One thing that aggravated was it would stop working everytime I unplugged it or reset the system. There was a easy work around I found after I had already given up I think. Just don't try to do wireless without a dongle, or it will take over your bluetooth!

3. Steve B

Holy cr*p this is complicated as h*ll to set up.:mad:

I really have to go through the whole process of learning this just to get the buttons to respond for my controller, which I then have to learn how to setup to be shortcuts?!? Ergh. Making..... brain.... work....

Isn't there, like, a pre-created button setup that is shared that I can use for the Nav Controller? I want to program the shortcuts myself, of course, but having to actually setup the controller too. I'm trying to find a whole tut on this, but we're clearly on the "bleeding edge" of DIY computer stuff here.

edit-
    the instructions given here are so abbreviated, it blows my mind how difficult it's made to use this. There's all sorts of unexplained stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

someone on the forum gave their xpadder layout and button assignments at some point. It should be easy to find.

*EDIT* found it: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/artists/56515-best-accessory-digital-painters-yep-2.html#post324322

he shares the Xpadder settings he uses, plus their is some links for installing them and using them that may be helpful.
    agree it's lots of work to get working. But at least we have an option. I should try to get this working again with you. I realy didn't like how sensitive the joystick was though, the slightest touch would register as a button press, but I think there was a way to adjust pressure sensitivity in the PC, but I got overwhlemed. Hopefully you have more patience.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. Steve B

Hmmmm....

I found a few video tutorials for setting up the normal ps3 controller.

Ok, so I think the first thing is that I have to do is to somehow setup MotioninJoy to receive the input from the Nav Controller, yes? I dl'd MotioninJoy, plugged the Nav Controller in by USB, and ran MotioninJoy to detect it. It has options for what I'm supposed to click. PS1 (Dpa, without joystick), PS2 (POV, joysticks), PS2 (for PCSX2 with pressure sensitive), DX-Defaulat PS3, xbox 360, and Custom. I chose PS3. ??? I saw someone else pick xbox 360 when setting up the nav controller, which seemed odd to me since he was using a ps3 device. What have others done? I then went to Driver Manager, check the box for my plugged in device, and let it download a driver.

6. Steve B

I'll check out what he's offered. Thanks. Perhaps it'll simplify things. There's definitely a way to "tune" the sensitivity in the device. He goes over it, and I saw the setting, though I've not tried them.

I ought to be able to get the d*mn thing to respond though, in xpadder, at the very least. I haven't been able to get the button presses to show up yet in the UI, which tells me I'm doing something wrong in MotioninJoy from the get go.

The other thing is that I'm looking to be able to navigate with the stick, like a mouse, while engaging buttons for different key presses. I wonder if that can be done, or if I'll need an "in the hand" mouse to navigate, and something like xpadder for button presses. I want to try this for art, but the driving force is to be able to use it professionally, with a slate in the field, for input in Sketchup Pro. That means mouse navigation as well as key presses.

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Steve,

I don't have mine setup anymore but I was able to get the "joystick" to work like a mouse. It was however pretty difficult to use (way too sensitive and kind of clunky) so I never used it like that. (By the way, not to add more on my already overfull plate but since we both have the controller we can certainly look at maybe using it with AHK if you find that you can't do all that you want with the other software).

8. Steve B

It occurred to me, after posting, that I probably could use the pen or touch to function as a mouse/ cursor in non-art programs, right? Press button with controller for Hand/ Orbit tool/ Mouse scrolling button, then pan with touch, orbit with touch, zoom with touch, etc Same probably goes for making shapes. Press button for Rectangle/ Extrude or Push/ etc. and then use the pen or touch to make the start and stop points.

The first thing I'm having an issue with is just getting the d*mn controller to respond.... Ergh.

I admit, I may not have the patience for it right now. I'm so busy with work. I'm spending hours on this when I could/ should be doing other things. I suppose this is why people get things like the Nostronomo-- it probably has software that comes with it and it just works because of that.

9. Steve B

Ok, so I've watched some tutorials and downloaded the control settings and PS profile cleft offered. I think something must be wrong since I keep on getting no visual feedback in xpadder when I press buttons on the Nav Controller. Does everyone else get visual feedback in xpadder the way I see in (the practically useless) youtube videos? What settings did you use in MotioninJoy to get things activated?

Presumably, I've downloaded the drivers. I plugged in the Nav Controller and then went to MotioninJoy > Driver Manager > Load driver and let it load stuff, but I get no vibration though when I try and do a feedback test in MotioninJoy at Profiels > Vibration Testing. However, if I go to Game Control Panel> Properties > Test I clearly get visual feedback. So, it's clear the device as installed enough drivers to allow MotioninJoy to produce feedback when I press the buttons, but when I go into xpadder.... nada.

For now, I'm trying this out in Win7 64bit. So far, I've spent 4 hours on it off and on, and I have a Nav Controller that works in a window in the MotioninJoy program and a borrowed xpadder setup and profile, but not much else outside of a case of extreme frustration.

Speaking of which, if I run xpadder and upload the controller settings that cleft shared for the Nav Controller, shouldn't then the "button locations" then be available after I press ok, in the default xpadder UI? The UI where you double click the buttons and you can then choose which key you want for each controller input? But I get nothing there. Additonally, when I follow the directions on the xpadder website and upload the PS profile cleft offered in the "profile" tab, it also doesn't seem to alter the UI in any way.

Anyone got any pointers? I'll try and PM cleft. I'm sure there's something simple I'm just not doing..... sigh, but the truth is that it's utterly confusing to me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Steve,

First of all make sure that:
    - you’re NOT using MotioninJoy 0.7.x but 0.6.0005 or earlier version instead
    - Playstation 3 mode is selected in DS3 Tool (MotioninJoy)
    - the controller is regconised as MotioninJoy Virtual Game Controller in Control Panel
    Also try usb connection first.

Now open Xpadder. If you don’t see a red box on the top left, there haven’t been any problems with the connection, Xpadder has already seen your controller.

To make Xpadder work, you need a layout first and a profile afterwards. There are 2 files in my attachments, the layout is named ps3nav.xpaddercontroller while the profile is photoshop.xpadderprofile.

1. First you need to load the layout by clicking Layout button, choose Open and navigate to the ps3nav.xpaddercontroller file

01.jpg

2. If thing goes right, you should get the following.

02.jpg

3. Now click on Profile button, choose open and navigate to the photoshop.xpadderprofile file. This is the final result.

uploadfromtaptalk1366667200887.jpg

If analog does not work, quit and open DS3 Tool again, then click the Enable button (the magenta button)
    If nothing happens at step 2, try creating a new profile by clicking “New” instead

04.jpg

1. In the Image section, go to this link GCDB (Xpadder Game Controller DataBase)
    and follow the instruction. You should get the base picture of the controller.

2. In Sticks section, click on Enable check box and push the analog stick to the instructed directions

06.jpg

3. After that, drag the circle shape to the analog area

4. Repeat step 2 and 3 in the other sections. You can skip Triggers section though.

Hope it helps

stoneseeker likes this.