Best accessory for digital painters? yep!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by azelll, Apr 19, 2013.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

sorry, I made a mistake in my earlier post. The program that requires internet connection to work and is needed for windows to recognize the PS3 controller is MotioninJoy, NOT joy2key. and yes, I have Xpadder, but I tried joy2key as well.

So to reiterate: motioninjoy driver is the only way you can use the controller in windows, and is simply used to make windows recognize your ps3 controller as a proper device in Windows. Joy2key and Xpadder are programs that allow you to map the buttons and save your settings for the controller. I thought MotioninJoy had to be connected to the internet, and potentially f__ed up your ports, but perhaps things have changed.

Cleft,

-Have you seen that yet, or are you using an old enough version of motioninjoy that still had offline option?
    -How did you keep the joystick from registering the button early? I found even the slightest touch on the thing made it click the button multiple times.
    -Does xpadder have a built in template for the nav controller? How did you get those pictures of it in xpadder?

-would you be willing to share your xpadder template with us? I know you can export button assignments and stuff... You look like you got it set up nice.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Sure I would. I had attached my layout/template (ps3nav.xpaddercontroller) and a profile for photoshop (photoshop.xpadderprofile) in this post. You can refer to the user guide for Xpadder here to open them Xpadder Forum • View forum - Xpadder Help and Walkthroughs
    The first picture in section 1.2 shows the menu where you can open a layout, section 1.4 shows how to open a profile (you can have multiple profiles in a layout)

I have some free buttons in my profile since all of the essential tools I need have been there, but your profile would be very different, feel free to amend it

*edit: Save a headache. Ditch MotioninJoy, use XInput wrapper. The wrapper will see your controller as an Xbox 360 controller. I should have known earlier.
    I'm using Motioninjoy v0.6.0005 (second latest). After the driver is loaded for the first time, I don't need to have internet access to get the controller connected. Also no usb port malfunctions, only built-in bluetooth driver is overrode by MotioninJoy's when I use it to pair.

No it doesn't, but just take couple of minutes to create one. Yet try to open my ps3nav.xpaddercontroller first, I think it would save the hassle. Anyway section 1.2 above shows the steps for creating a new layout Xpadder Forum • View topic - 1.2 - Creating a controller layout
    You can find the picture in the database mentioned at the early steps GCDB (Xpadder Game Controller DataBase)

After having a proper layout, choose Settings from the Joystick part, it is the same small button beneath D-pad right in this picture

[​IMG]

It will bring you to the following window where you can adjust the sensitivity (DeadZone and Diagonal Size)

stick.jpg

Also do explore the advanced options for each settings, you might make something useful out of them, for eg making a macro (sequence), hold a button for repeated hits (turbo - I use it for undo and redo), auto profiles for each application etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. stoneseeker

wow. I had no clue xpadder was so in depth! thanks Cleft. Gonna give this a go again some time.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This thread has got me quite interested in trying one or both of these out as well. I like the button layout on the ShuttleXpress, but much prefer the Bluetooth, wireless capability of the PS3 Navigator-- particularly as I'm often not at a desk. I got to hold one in the hand the other day, as my brother in law has one, and it was much smaller and more ergonomic than I thought.

Cleft,
    Before I order one though, I had a question about the bluetooth, and how it works. I have a bluetooth dongle on my x200t. You said earlier that if I sync the PS3 Navigator to it, I basically can't use the Bluetooth for anything else. That's, of course, only while I'm actually using the PS3 controller and have it synced and turned on, right? For example, I also use the Bluetooth dongle for Wireless access while in the field sometimes-- my presumption is that I would still be able to use that to sync to my cellphone later on, right? Just not while I was also using the PS3 controller.....

That seems like a dumb question, but sometimes computers are peculiar, and I programs do unexpected (dumb) things. I would be nice to know that I could still sync other Bluetooth devices later on, just not simultaneously while I was actually using the PS3. Do you know the answer to this?

5. stoneseeker

They say to use it with a bluetooth dongle like you have because if you were to use it with onboard bluetooth like Cleft has it takes over that bluetooth and it can't be used for anything else even when the ps3 controller is NOT plugged in. It hijacks the bluetooth connection.

Not sure if it will do the same thing to the dongle though, you may need a separate dongle for the controller, but I'm not sure if you need to. It may only happen with integrated bluetooth.

6. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

It's like what stoneseeker said, built-in bluetooth can only be used with the controller once paired. I don't know if it is the same situation with a bluetooth dongle but I guess it is.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Wow, that's a bummer. I wonder, if it does "lock in" my Bluetooth adapter, if I can have more than one of my device. I have an extra USB port that I basically never use. It'd be worth it......

8. stoneseeker

You should be fine with 2 dongles. Just make sure to only pair it to one and then keep that one separate.

9. willreid

willreid Pen Pal - Newbie

The accessory looks good and very compact but is this multimedia controller works for all kind of tablets? I have this tablet here, and I want to know if it is compatible with that controller. Do you have any idea on this matter guys?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. DaveOnBass

DaveOnBass Scribbler - Standard Member

Couple months late to this party, but I am ordering one of these pronto! I don't know that it will work with a separate profile for the various programs I use, but I will sure try.

It would be amazing in tablet mode for zooming, assigning a button to Space for panning around, adding Undo/Redo buttons (for instance in MangaStudio5, those buttons are TINY), etc. No more having to draw with the laptop wide open to use keyboard shortcuts =0)