Best 7200HD for T5010 Noise, ect.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProgressionMurph

ProgressionMurph Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

Does anyone have any 7200 rpm HD suggestions?

Specific brands Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi ect.

Models ETC. Tablet ORdered now looking for Ram/HD upgrades.
    Will save the processor for another time.

Does the T5010 come with a Smart Card or just the reader? Is the smart card something you purchase seperately?

2. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Seagate has the best 7200rpm drives for the time being and they are dependable and quite. I have one in my Thinkpad T61. However, I would be very careful with any drive that you put in the T5010. Because of their extra circuitry and demands on power, tablets are far more finicky regarding hard disk upgrades. I had an Asus R1F which, after the installation of a 7200rpm drive, would no longer work at battery savings mode. The hard disk was drawing too much power to allow this. It would run fun in full performance mode. Thus, there may a reason as to why Fujitsu would only support a 120 GB 7200rpm drive in the T5010. All else are 5400rpm. I also think that all the drives supported are SATA 150 and not SATA 300 (which the Seagate drives are). Thus, the wrong drive may cause more problems than it is worth.

I find that a much easier solution is an external hard drive. The portable versions are small and really fast and, in many ways, a really good way of carrying around lots of data that can be accessed from multiple PCs.

3. digs_nz

digs_nz Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 (320gb) in my T5010 and its fantastic so far. Im sorry I cant provide much information with regards to battery power etc, but I don't think it has decreased much since replacing the 5400.

4. ProgressionMurph

The insight is appreciated. How's the sound? And do either of you have any information about the smart card slot?

Currently I am looking at the Hitachi 7k320, Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320gb.

"However, I would be very careful with any drive that you put in the T5010. Because of their extra circuitry and demands on power, tablets are far more finicky regarding hard disk upgrades. I had an Asus R1F which, after the installation of a 7200rpm drive, would no longer work at battery savings mode. The hard disk was drawing too much power to allow this. It would run fun in full performance mode. Thus, there may a reason as to why Fujitsu would only support a 120 GB 7200rpm drive in the T5010. All else are 5400rpm. I also think that all the drives supported are SATA 150 and not SATA 300 (which the Seagate drives are). Thus, the wrong drive may cause more problems than it is worth"

Will keep that in mind when installing a new HD. Could you possibly provide me a link to what I should be looking for when upgrading a new HD. I know it has to be SATA and 2.5" form factor. What other requirements for a new HD would I need to meet?
    At some point I may get an External, but not yet.

Looking forward to responses!
    Thank you,
    Alex

5. ProgressionMurph

Has anyone tried the SEAGATE Momentus 7200.4 ?

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 isn't out yet, you'll have to wait until at least 1.1.2009.
    But this drive looks very interesting. 250GB per platter and not that expensive. The alternative is a 5400RPM harddrive.
    But sadly I have the same problem with the harddrives you have. Nowhere is a good comparison between comparable 7200 and 5400 RPM harddrives.

For the smart card reader you'll need an additional smart card and software to use it.

7. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

The T5010 does not come with a smart card, just a smart card reader (which I have disabled to save power :p)

When you buy a HDD that is SATA 3/gbs and your system only uses SATA 150 as the T5010 does it will automatically throttle down to SATA 150. If not you have to set a jumper or run a program off of the manufacturer's website. It isn't all that hard to do.

The T5010 can handle a 7200 drive no problem. (I can use power saver mode etc.) I'm using a Hitachi, it makes some really high pitched noises sometimes but nothing to worry about..Nothing other people would notice.

8. ProgressionMurph

So the T5010 runs regularly at SATA 150 and it can run at 300 if I get a program from the HD manufacturer?

9. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any 2.5" HDD with a SATA connector will work! Even a SSD if you have enough money will work.

The Fujitsu only access the drives in SATA 150MBit mode, if you use a newer HDD which also supports SATA 300MBit, then the drive will still work, because all the drives are backwards compatible. Grimnir posted your options if the HDD does not reduce to 150MBit automatically.

There is no reason that Fujitsu does not offer faster and larger drives. Or is there a reason that the RAM is so expensive if you buy it from Fujitsu together with your tablet compared to the RAM you can buy from a store and upgrade it manually. The RAM you can buy separately is not only less expensive but also often faster and better.
    Newer hard drives are not only quieter, they also produce less heat, less vibration, need less power, have lower (better) access times, have higher transfer rates, higher capacity, better shock protection, ...
    Short: Newer HDD's will work and they are better than the HDD's Fujitsu include.

The only question is what speed. 5400 or 7200RPM HDD.
    Also make sure that you buy a HDD with a high data density, like a 500GB 2 platter version, or a 250GB single platter version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.