Best 2 in 1 that is the full package?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by totoro02, Jun 19, 2017.

1. totoro02

totoro02 Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget? Preferably under 1500€

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Possibly, would rather not

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? It will replace my current laptop, so preferably notebook convertible but am open to tablet PCs as long as they run windows

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 12-13 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Italy/Europe

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

7. How many hours battery life do you require? The more the better though it is not the deciding factor

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Primarily notetaking on OneNote, though it will be my only device so it should be decently powerful to be able to handle multiple tabs/prorgrams open and be able to run the odd low resolution game here and there

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Office, programming (Eclipse, Matlab etc.)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. CS:GO here and there but it is not a necessity

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance. Preferably

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig? Yes, with pressure sensitivity. Not sure which technology is best for extended writing.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? I believe 256ssd, 8gb ram should suffice

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? No particular requirements,

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ I'd like for this device to substitute pen and paper for my notetaking at university and I am not sure which is the most suitable digitizing technology for such purpose, I have read contrasting opinions on Wacom AES vs EMR vs N-trig technology but having tried none of them I would like other people's opinions, considering I won't be doing any art on it but still write extended paragraphs and not just the odd annotation here and there.

2. Additional requests ~ Design and build quality are quite important.

I was looking at the following devices but am not sure which provides the best experience when it comes to writing with the pen:

HP Spectre x360 13(2017) - No information on what digitizing technology it uses
    Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 - I read the performance can be quite lacking
    Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 13" - Seems like it would be the full package once it comes out but will it fit withing the 1500€ price range?
    Asus ZenBook Flip S - No information on digitizing techonology
    Microsoft surface pro 4 - Would rather have a 13 inch screen and a fixed keyboard + Uses N-trig, will I noticed the difference in extended note-writing as compared to Wacom?

Thank you for your time.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo Yoga 720 13 should tick all of your boxes. It uses Wacom Active ES pen.

I recommend the Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus for that device until the Lenovo Active Pen 2 becomes widely available and we have opportunity to test. If that new pen is anything like the old pen, its biggest drawback is that the tip sits too far inside the collar. This makes it more difficult for the tip to maintain contact with the display while inking at an angle and I worry that the collar end might scrape against and potentially scratch the glass.

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@totoro02 I suggest Thinkpad Yoga 370 instead. Better build quality & more features, yet same price.

4. surfaceproartist

Hadn't considered the 370. The numbering choice is curious. Besides the Thinkpad branding, what leads you to say it offers a better build quality than the Yoga 720 or even 520?

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@surfaceproartist good question. For starters, TPY370 has a spill-resistant keyboard (which also offers much better typing experience and has a trackpoint). According to notebookcheck review, applying pressure to Yoga 720 13 display lid causes ripple display on LCD. And yes, I do trust Thinkpad branding.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  6. surfaceproartist

Thanks. None of those are particularly important to me. I know some swear by them, but trackpoints seem so redundant in a system with a good trackpad, touch screen and pen.
    For what it's worth, I was worried that the Ideapad label meant a step down in keyboard comfort, but I find the Yoga 720's keyboard more than adequate.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Pretty sure Thinkpads have the magnesium chassis for better drop durability. I am also pretty sure the typing experience is considered better too, though I'm sure that's up to opinion in part- it probably has to do key travel, spacing, and bounce. They also definitively have better warranty service. And the track point- which is also my preferred method of input, though I know that's also personal. I also think they reserved some of the fancy "the keys don't move when you flip it around" stuff for the Thinkpads- though that may have changed since the earlier versions.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  8. totoro02

Thank you both for your inputs. I have checked both models and here in Italy the price difference is not so negligible, ( 330€ more for the TP yoga 370). I am wondering what justifies such price difference except for the spill-resistant keyboard and the alleged better build quality? The specs look exactly the same on paper except for the TPY370 having LTE which I don't think I'll be using much.

9. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Elitebook X360 G2 is crazy cheap in Italy, for reasons unknown; it's under 1200€ on Amazon.it, for example, while it's comfortably above 1500€ elsewhere in EU. :S Read up on it if you haven't already, it reviews favourably against Yoga 370 & the likes.

10. totoro02

I ended up buying the HP spectre x360 after all, the design was just too sexy and form the reviews I have read the new N-trig should do just fine as long as I'm not doing any art. Could any of you reccomend a compatible pen for it? Will Microsoft's active pen work with this model?