Benefit of Win10 Pro over Win10 Home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mikerman, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm just proactively wondering if there are great benefits to Win10 Pro over Win10 Home?

The reason I ask is, I have a few machines using Win 8.1 Home and so will qualify for a free upgrade to Win10 Home. But, I also have some copies of Win7 Ultimate around, and so conceivably could install them on the Win8.1 Home machines and then upgrade for free to Win10 Pro. I wonder if the time and effort would be worth it all.

Any thoughts? This is for normal consumer use. Thanks--

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They haven't really been giving many details on this. The one thing that has been said so far is that on 10 Home, you can't defer Windows Updates.

However, if past history is any guide, the main things to worry about as a consumer are Bitlocker and Remote Desktop (as the server, all machines can act as the client).

3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

If past history is any guide, you can refer to the Windows 8.1 editions comparison chart

For me, I use Pro for group policy, local security policy, and other administrative tools that I need. But many of the features can be hacked (registry or else) or implemented by 3rd party software on Home edition. Enterprise has more features like Windows to Go and AppLocker, but it's not available to consumers. I am not worried about Bitlocker because Home version can read Bitlocker encrypted drives natively. You can always make a Bitlocker encrypted drive from a Pro machine before using it on a Home machine. Not a big deal.

4. Mikerman

Thanks, my guess is Win10 Home will be fine as is, as Win8.1 Home has been, but I've just been wondering, with having Win7 Ultimate licenses around. But, as I noted above, would be a hassle installing Win7 first and then updating to Win10.

Might be different if Win10 Pro retained media center capabilities.

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Consumer-faced version of Windows has been losing server/admin features ever since 7 Ultimate. It's a downgrade from 7U to 8 Pro, it's another downgrade from 8 to 10. In the past I was able to build server hosting remote apps using 7U, which enables me to run remote desktop apps as if they are native on my Surface RT. After 'upgrading' to 8, the capability to host remote apps is removed and I have to use the dumbed down remote desktop. When you think MS has finally unified business and consumer version of Windows in the body of 7U, they split Windows apart once again. Now that Windows 8 Enterprise (may as well be 10E) cannot upgrade, and Windows 10 Home forces auto-upgrade. How very sad. I would definitely keep a copy of 7U. Probably the last Windows version to have all the features.

6. Mikerman

Thanks--have a handful of them, from Microsoft programs. Originally thought to sell them, but never got around to it . . . .

7. Fa310tx

Fa310tx Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 10 Home won't join to Active Directory domains, will it?
    I thought that was one of the huge benefits, of Pro.
    JJ

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Mikerman

A very helpful, and easy-to-read, chart--thanks!