Beloved X230T dying, what next?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by chucklepunch, Jan 25, 2019.

1. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just spent over an hour in bestbuy. Downloaded Autodesk sketchbook on a few different machines. Samsung Notebook pro, hp spectre x360, Microsoft surface laptop 2 and random dell.

All of them were perfectly fine. Did provide clarity about one thing though. I’ve swapped between X230T, cintiq 24HD, and yiynova mvp.. plus random brush pens and such in my sketchbook. Often all in the same day. I think the end result is... I’m straight up immune to digitizer variance unless it’s excessively pronounced.

Sooooo.. friggen now what? lol. I have even more choices. I guess I'll start looking at the cross roads of affordability with screen competency- brightness/sRGB coverage/resolution. Sigh. Thanks anyway, guys!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  2. chucklepunch

Soooo. Not that anyone likely cares too much, but thought I'd update for the lurkers.

I ended up grabbing a laptop off eBay. Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 370. i5-7300u, 16gb ddr4, 256ssd, 13.3" 1920x1080 300nit (actually hits 350), Win10 Pro. $475 shipped.

So far, it's great. The screen has 96% SRGB coverage. The pen is supposedly lackluster but it feels just fine to me. Charges in silo, decidedly more accurate than my x230t.. and if the pressure sensitivity is shoddy it isn't hitting me very hard. Ported my custom brushes/toolsets/actions over and I was up in running in 15 minutes. Inking actually feels significantly better than it did on my x230t.

Got lucky I suppose. Thanks for all the input along the way, guys. Whenever this thing dies I'll track down a 2017 Samsung I suppose ha.

batty, JoeS, Starlight5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

4. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

That's every interesting. I'm thinking of upgrading from my x220t to something with Wacom AES too, but here in Germany they don't have many Lenovo/Thinkpad models with siloed pens on display to try them out. Would be great if you could tell us more on how the pen feels. I'm most concerned with the wavy lines when drawing slowly, I draw a lot of diagrams when taking notes in class and I draw very slowly (I'm not an artist by any means).

And what do you think about the Yoga design? I mean when you yoga it around to draw the keyboard will be touching the table, I don't know if it's bad for the keyboard in the long run. On the x220t/x230t we have the swivel hinges so that's a non-problem (except sometimes the trackpoint touches the back of the display and moves the mouse around which is annoying).

Anyways congrats on the purchase!

5. chucklepunch

The silo is pretty uncommon now, since Lenovo has started making standard bamboo style pens. They iterate on them too. Here’s a simple article about it from an artists perspective. Mentions differences in regards to drawing lines slowly too.

https://www.parkablogs.com/content/lenovo-active-pen-2-vs-1-artist-review

The yoga design is growing on me. I used to 180 the X230T screen and then access the keyboard reach around style ha. Now I’ve been messing with usb keyboard and this app I found which gives you a vertical strip on the left side to assign all kinds of shortcuts. As for the keyboard, this model (and I believe the x1 carbon yogas) it retracts. When you pass a certain point in the yoga transformation the keys slide up and back and do not come in contact with whatever surface you place the laptop onto. They are also disabled so you can hold it however you want and not accidentally hit any keys.

I typically use kinda samurai slash linework. I’ll do some slower lines and save out a jpeg for you. Or video If I get time.

batty likes this.
  6. chucklepunch

Here ya go!

Attached Files:

stoneseeker and batty like this.
  7. chucklepunch

(I'm not great at slow lines.. but there's also a little bit of cursor waggle going on, I think. Feels correctable with Lazy Nezumi and indeed photoshops new smoothing fixed it 100% with nearly unnoticeable lag.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

The diagonal lines look pretty good. Thanks a lot!!!

chucklepunch likes this.
  9. chucklepunch

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else!