Battery wear vs. date of purchase

Discussion in 'Asus' started by scrambler, Aug 22, 2007.

?

What applies to you?

1. Bought in 2006, have battery wear

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Bought in 2006, no battery wear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bought in 2007, Jan - March, battery wear

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Bought in 2007, Jan - March, no battery wear

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Bought in 2007, April - present, battery wear

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Bought in 2007, April - present, no battery wear

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antlab

Antlab Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I understand. Anyway, my eyesight is already not perfect, for that reason I would prefer a slighty bigger screen.

Ah, thanks. I found it, the thread by jdwilson. It seem very interesting, so probably that can be a workaround if Asus doesn't fix the battery behaviour.

Ciao

Antonino

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

The external battery has worked for me pretty well. But it won't work for everyone depending on their needs. I still want my original battery to be repaired/replaced with one that meets the original claims by the manufacturer.

3. Antlab

Antlab Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. Surely Asus should seriously try to solve the problem with the battery of the R1f. In the meantime, thanks for your indication about the possibility to use an external battery. By the way, reading the user opinions on the tablet, at

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=17718&display=opinionDetail

I saw that the last one, by Pman, refers to a possible way to edit the ACPI software, resulting in 3.46 working hours. How is it possible?

Ciao

Antonino

4. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally cast my vote in this poll. I bought my Asus in January and I have significant battery wear. Currently, on the 'battery saver' setting in Power4Gear I get 1:10 hours of battery life....this isn't anything new, of that I am aware, just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring on this issue.

I'm going to do a cross-swap near the end of the summer, and probably order a modular bay battery as well...Thanks Asus...:(

I went a read Pman's comment on the review section after Antlab posted....

I got to looking around on the internet and cannot find anything out about editing the R1-F ACPI. So far I can't find this fix, but I'll keep looking around and see if anything turns up.

5. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jdwilson

7. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

RMA'ed my battery a little while ago (couple of weeks) did a deep discharge for the first time two days ago, charged it up and sure enough, 5% wear. That was my 3rd battery, my first RMA, and my first bit of real annoyance. 3/3 so far is not terribly imressive. I need to run it down a few more times to see if it actually goes beyond 15% or so, but I need my other battery back first.

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I RMA'd my battery two weeks ago and got it back without doing a deep discharge until this week. (By accident even, it dropped from 27% to about 7% in the span of five minutes and was completely dead even though it was in stand by mode in another ten minutes.) This whacked off 5% of the battery's life again. This is the third battery I've had on the R1, I've already RMAed two other batteries before and thought that this time it would be different. No go, and now I fear to used more than 2/3 of the total battery again as my last one whacked off 4% every time it was discharged past 30%.

9. jdwilson

Well, I just finished my second battery RMA. So far it is holding firm at 0% wear. Of course, I haven't used the battery in the first 24 hours . . .

The RMA process went totally smoothly, I had none of the bad customer service reported by others on the forum thankfully. I placed my RMA by phone and they agreed to (a) cross-ship and (b) cover all shipping costs without any hesitation. I have also asked Asus to warranty the battery for a full year from the date of delivery but I have not gotten any response to this request.

The first replacement battery demonstrated the same problem as the original since soon after I received it – the battery has demonstrated immediate and severe wear from use of the battery substantially beyond 50%. Since February, its wear has declined to at least 17% using NHC to monitor the battery.

Over a month ago, the battery began exhibiting further problems. Often, it would display clearly erroneous battery life parameters. For example, the battery might display 0% charge when in fact it was fully charged due to the battery data reading as if it had thousands of Wh of potential capacity. Or it might display 100% charge when in fact it was substantially depleted due to the battery data reading as if it had just a few Wh of potential capacity. Or some other data malfunction.

Initially, the battery could be reset to correct values by simply removing and reinserting the battery after a few seconds. Recently, however, this “fix” began to fail and the computer consistently displayed erroneous data. Since I was usually operating on AC power this didn’t present a problem. Recently, however, I used the computer on battery power for an extended period and this triggered a complete malfunction of the battery to the extent that it became completely nonfunctional (could not receive or release a charge).

After about four days with the battery out of the tablet, I put it back in and it worked again, if you can call working giving completely wrong charge level data and having a wear level of 17%.

10. zygomatic

zygomatic Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought mine in April, but haven't really been paying too much attention to wear. It's my first laptop, and I just heard about NHC today, so I'll probably try messing with that sometime. Most of the time, I have it plugged in, but sometimes I go to battery for a little bit. It seems to skip around, when I go into Battery Saving mode, sometimes I get something like 2 hours (about 33% wear I guess), but then sometimes it jumps up to about 2 and a half, or it'll say 2 hours, but after 30 minutes, still say 1:45 left. I should probably figure this out quick, since I'll want a working battery for taking notes in class in a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.