Battery Slowly Draining with no use

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by icefreez, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icefreez

icefreez Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had the problem of their battery slowly releasing its charge while its off overnight? Seems mine likes to drop 5-10% overnight for no reason. It is powered down, no sleep mode, or hibernate at all.

This doesn't really affect me very much but I am curious of I have a defective battery or if it is just normal for this battery to do this.

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

If you close the screen too soon when turning it off, it wont actually shut down. It will go into sleep mode and pause the shut down... Just wait to close it until all the lights turn off.

4. icefreez

LoL I knew people would say "Are you sure its shut off" thats why I put this line :p
    Thx for the link I will check it out.

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have people tell me when they can't get their PCs to turn on, Yes its plugged in, only to find that its not really, or the surge protector is off.

Or they say that they don't have an option on the screen, but if they looked where I told them to look they do.

You could have said you powered it down, saying you selected the power down option, then closed the lid when the screen went black (which isn't completely in the off option yet). I either rotate the screen if I'm in a hurry, or wait until I see the power lights go off before i shut the screen.

6. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Yes, what nikecar said. I'm not implying that you arent capable of shutting down a computer, im just saying that its possible you paused the shut down by closing the screen too soon.

Also make sure that no USB items are plugged in after its off, its possible (though unlikely) that maybe a usb mouse or somethign is still drawing power after shut down, or even a flash drive.

7. icefreez

Ya I am 100% sure its shut off. I ran the battery auto learning and it went from 5059 mAH to 4871mAH. So it obviously thought it had more storage for power than it really did. Hopefully it improved the way estimated battery life estimations. That could have been the problem the whole time.

PS: As a side note a Battery Auto Learning takes about 4-5 hours so be prepared to not use your laptop for a while.

8. icefreez

Well I ran the Battery Learning and it after made sure it was 100% shutdown before closing the lid. I left it all night and little into the morning and in the morning it had still lost 12% of its battery power according to Vista.

Think I have a defective battery?

9. lettcco

lettcco Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally I think it's reasonable to lose 10% a day on standby...but that number was based on my other laptop that has a much smaller battery. 10-15% a day would still let you park your laptop for a good week.

10. icefreez

I agree with 10% a day on standby, but this is while the Tablet is Completely Shut Off. There should be no battery drain whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.