Battery, Select Bay Adapter, Docking Station and Memoryfrom Tecra 9100 fit Tecra M4?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by SuperRob, Jun 28, 2005.

1. djstabletpc

djstabletpc Pen Pal - Newbie

I have researched product numbers on the detailed PDF specs on Toshiba's site as well as CDW's site which details, for instance, that the latest docking station for Toshiba fits both the 9100 and the M4.

I think the memory is totally different DDR versus DDR2 - so I don't think that will transfer.

I have Hitachi 60 GB 7200 RPM IDE Hard drives. I see the M4 uses SATA hard drives - does anyone know if an IDE hard drive is plug compatible?

I phoned an authorized service center and my extra batteries (2) and select bay adapters are not listed as compatible. HOWEVER, some sites selling batteries list a slightly newer model as compatible with both.

Obviously none of these sources is in the business of helping me establish FORWARD compatibility because it would prevent me from buying some things.

My gut feeling is that the docking station, select bay adapters and batteries will work flawlessly even if I cannot establish compatibility by the manufacturer.

Obviously I would save a lot of money and would be completely drawn to the M4 if both my batteries, both my select bay adapters and my docking station all work with it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to verify this other than my above "hopeful reasonings" ?

2. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

"I think the memory is totally different DDR versus DDR2 - so I don't think that will transfer."

Correct.

"I have Hitachi 60 GB 7200 RPM IDE Hard drives. I see the M4 uses SATA hard drives - does anyone know if an IDE hard drive is plug compatible?"

No, they use different connectors. However, you might be able to find a select bay adapter that will accept an IDE drive. I have one for my Inspiron 8000, but I'm not sure about the Toshiba.

Apart from that, it's always a crap shoot over whether or not existing accessories will work. I'd suggest calling Toshiba and asking. :)