Battery Options for R15-S829

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by poetdante, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

I have yet to buy a tablet pc, but i am leaning toward the r15-s829. My question is though, what options are there for extending the battery life? I dont think you can buy an extended battery to lump into the machine, but is there some sort of external battery i can bring with me in my laptop case which i can plug in as my battery dies down? Or perhaps swapping another battery in?

I know its a bit, but i'd need the laptop to run for at least 9 hours before i can get back to a plug(realistically, not theoretically). Can anyone suggest options for me?

2. greenzkool

greenzkool Pen Pal - Newbie

if you dont need your dvd drive. Get the 2ndary battery that goes into the dvd slot. I normally get about 7 hours with both on my M4 with pretty minimal power settings. With those and perhaps another main battery to hotswap while the 2ndary is in, you can get like 10 or more i am sure. But that is a lot of money on extra batteries

3. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think you can replace the DVD on the R15....

Does anyone know if you can just swap out the battery on the r15 with another one sitting in your laptop case? Like if each battery is 3-4 hours i just bring two extra ones with me and swap them in as i need them.

4. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Pen Pal - Newbie

The R15 has an easily removeable DVD drive that can be replaced with a battery, different of course than the main battery. The other cool thing is that you can get a hard drive enclosure that replaces the DVD drive. You put your own 2.5" drive in it and the R15 will recognize it. The only thing it won't do is boot the computer, you need the internal hard drive to do that.

5. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

So you CAN remove the DVD drive on a R15 and replace it with a battery?

Also as to battery options, since i need to run mine for 9 hours before i can get back to a plug, would you think the best option to be just buy two extra batteries and swap them in as i need it?

Is there some sort of device th at i can buy where i can charge the batteries externally instead of having to put them into the laptop to charge them?

Thanks

6. ???????

??????? Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, you can remove the DVD drive from the main body and it is very easy to do. I think that the best way is to just get two extra batteries. There are devices that is actually an external battery that plugs in to the DC power socked. But I have heard that sometimes the voltage may me different or it may jump and thus frying your laptop. Besides, it is no cheaper than the normal batteries either.

7. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, i beleive the cost for 2 extra batteries is roughly the same as that big clunky external battery(by APC). The one i saw at frys was like 260 bucks, two external batteries are about 230. Question is though is there some sort of device where i can charge the battery externally? (so i can just leave them overnight instead of having to sit there and manually swap them in/out)

8. greenzkool

greenzkool Pen Pal - Newbie

9. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OK VERY Important! you cannot swap the DVD drive and put in a battery! You can put in up to a 100gb HDD protected hard drive, but NOTHING else. I have spent a lot of time looking for accessories for the toshiba r15. you can look for it yourself. go to accessories, and put in what model you have Notebook>>Satellite>>R15-S829

However, I could be wrong. See, there are two batteries on the toshiba website. one is Said to be new.http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=290953&seg=HHO
    While the other one I have always seen. However. both of these http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=322636&seg=HHO
    are called the Primary battery packs. The "new" one has an part number of PA3191U-4BRS and the other "old" is PA3191U-5BRS. Problem is, their descriptions, even to how long the battery lasts, is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up buying the r15-s829 yesterday, but haven't gotten any battery options yet.

Would you know of any cheaper batteries than the one toshiba sells? Or are toshiba ones the only ones that work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.