Battery Life Question

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kimbosliced, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

So, with full brightness, I've been getting around 2 hours and 5 minutes of battery life while inking or surfing the web or on MS OneNote. Does this seem to be about average for most running on full brightness?

I saw earlier threads of people averaging around 3 but not sure if they had done any tweaks/lowered the brightness to improve the battery life.

Any thoughts on my time, seem about average?

Any ideas to improve besides brightness reduction?

Thanks.

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

i got those results with my slate too ...

Full bright + Wifi + Websurf + Bluetooth off + Enhanced mode (i dont remember the power scheme name, but i mean that NOT power saver).

3. kimbosliced

Okay good, I remember everyone advertising 3 hours--and I can probably get that or maybe more (3-4 hours) with the brightness all the way down and chancing the intel graphics to set to battery mode. Other than that, I don't know what to do. I'd like to get 4 but at the very least 3 would be great--problem is I'm in a classroom with a lot of light most of the day so I gotta kick that brightness to max.

I could always plug in--but like being portable.

4. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember (can not try now, cause my slate is being sent to asus) that, if i turned wifi/bluetooth off + power saver + brightness minimum--> i got 4 hours.

I used that configuration for reading books in a dark room.

Probably if the room is cold enough, the fans will be kept off, and that will enhance battery life. Isnt it?

5. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also try turning off aero and the webcam. With those turned off and screen set to the second-lowest level, BatteryBar estimates over 4 hours with my normal OneNote and light web usage (i.e. mostly idle). I can see the power usage go down to about 7 Watts when the system is idle.

When playing videos, however, the power usage goes way up, and battery life goes down to maybe 2.5 or 3 hours.

6. kimbosliced

Sounds like a plan...how do I go about turning off aero and the webcam?

7. Eoma

Eoma Pen Pal - Newbie

I get average 3 and a half to 3 hours for surfing, reading comics @ lowest to 2nd lowest brightness and bluetooth off. Default power saver mode except for the brightness settings.

That way fans are at ~4000rpm (sometime a little lower). CPU is at 5W (via Everest) and ~665Mhz.

p/s: Shoutout to other Asian EP 121 owners, especially in KL, Malaysia. :D

8. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

If you do a web search, there should be instructions. I use BatteryBar to automatically turn aero off when on battery power and re-enable it when on AC power. It definitely seems to make a difference. The other way to do it is by selecting a non-Aero theme as described here:
    How to turn off Aero in Windows 7? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

For the webcam, you can find the device in the Device Manager, right-click, and choose "Disable". I'm not sure exactly how much power it saves, but I never use it and disabled it based on advice from other forum members.

9. kimbosliced

Ha, yeah I didn't think about that. I have battery bar. Will do. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.