battery life in Windows 8 with the x230/x230t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by 2disbetter, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Has anyone discovered how to set Window 8 power settings to get anywhere close to the 9+ hours you're supposed to get on the 6 cell?

I would appreciate any tips. Currently I'm using the power saver theme and have screen brightness down to 30%.

2d

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So how much battery life to you get? On my X220T it's dismal: BatteryBar states that my battery has a 51 WHr capacity, but it's using 15W even if I basically do nothing with the screen at max screen brightness. Setting the screen to what Win8 calls 50 percent I still have a 12.5W power draw. In all I'd be lucky to get 3h out of it.

3. 2disbetter

When I had Win 8 on the 220t I would see about 4-5+ hours of battery life. It required a lot of tweaking, and I also forced the battery manager from Win 7 on it as well. Was a pain and down right glitchy. I switched back to Win 7.

Which brings me to a rant concerning Lenovo (one of many): They deliberately are not giving the x220t line valid win 8 drivers, even thought the machine is perfect for it. Really pisses me off that they would try to encourage user to switch to the new x230t when the old x220t is MORE than still good.

Anyway, thanks for your comments!

2d

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well, admittedly System Update does every once in a while offer new updates for Win8. Fittingly, right now it's showing me the SOL Driver.

SOL Driver.jpg

5. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Well , on average I get around 4 hours of note taking time on my X230t with the settings that I was using. I have that ugly 6 cell battery as well.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  6. 2disbetter

Thanks Zero for the comment. BTW the ugly battery you're referring to, is the 9 cell. Just FYI.

2d

7. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

9+ is really a long life batt. I can only extend up to 5 hours maximum. hahaha

8. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

I am usually idling at 7.5W power draw with screen brightness at ~75%. Web-browsing takes it up to 10W and inking takes it up anywhere from 9W to 11W. At full brightness I usually go no higher than 13W. Battery Bar says its full run time is 6 hours or so. I did work on getting processes in Windows 8 down to an acceptable level (mostly by disabling useless services and startup programs), but it is nowhere near as stripped down as it could be.

All of this with a Balanced profile.

9. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone posted a video of it.

Lenovo X230t 6-Cell Battery - YouTube

The 6 cell battery is definitely ugly. The only tablet that I owned that had an uglier battery was the TX2z with the 6 cell battery.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

I have Windows 8.1 installed, and the battery life has decreased significantly compared to Windows 7. The CPU also runs hot, and I had to install TP Fan Control and set the settings to smart to lower the intense fan sound. The fan was completely quiet in Windows 7. It's even worse than Linux which is known to have a problem with the power consumption.

Windows 8.1: ~3.5 - 4 hours.
    Ubuntu 13.10: ~4 - 4.5 hours.
    Windows 7: ~6 hours.