Battery Care Discussion (Li-ion)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Concentrate, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys, I just thought that I would create a battery care discussion since many of us are planning to use the tablet that we have for a couple of years. I would like to begin by listing out things I've learned on how to care for battery:

-Charge the battery for 2 hours beyond fully charged for the first time

-Warm up the battery before use

-Take out the battery after it's done charging

-Li-ion batteries do not need to be discharged because it is constantly "dying"

-You can charge a battery whenever... even if it's 75% (not limited to number of recharges

-If you plan on storing the battery for long periods of time, store it somewhere dark and cool at 50% capacity

------------------------------anything below this line is unsure

-You should not charge your battery while using the tablet at the same time (Charge the tablet when it's not in use. Don't have the battery in if it's in use)

-You should discharge your battery every month

If there is anything that I've missed, please add to the list. If any of the above are false, please tell me.

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to point out that most people don't care enough to take such painstaking efforts to possibly squeeze an extra 2 months out of their batteries. Unless your time is worth nothing, this is not a cost-effective way of maintaining your battery.

Just my two cents, you are obviously quite entitled to do as you wish with your own time and batteries.

3. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice tips Concentrate. I have some questions:
    1. How do you "warm up" the battery before use?
    2. So one can use their tablet connected to a power outlet with the battery removed?

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@archiwiz: Regarding qn #2, yes you can, however if there is a blackout you have no insurance on your data at all. And some tablets might need the battery for other purposes - I know there are some models which put some of the base rubber feet on the battery, and some tablets (e.g. T2010) use the battery as (part of) the palmrest.

As for warming up the battery, I don't think that's really unnecessary unless you freeze your battery while it's not in use... Generally I'll just keep it at room temperature, which is pretty stable for me since it's tropical here ^^

I generally just follow 2 simple rules:

1) Do not charge when above 90% (Fujitsu hardware has an in-built feature for this, so not a problem)
    2) Do not discharge below 10% (or 5%, if you're feeling lucky)

I always charge my battery and use the tablet at the same time... In fact, the battery is always in the bay, and no problems with battery life thus far. Still 0% wear in NHC.

I do agree with long-term storage at ~50% in a dark and cool (and dry) place, though.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

- You don't need to warm up the battey, it's optimal operating temperature is at ca. 20°C
    - If it is possbile try to avoid discharging the battery below 40%! Below 10% is worse ;)
    - After using the battery try to charge the battery immediately.
    - A Li-Ion battery has no memory-effect, so you don't have discharge and recharge your battery.
    - A Li-Ion has lost about 50% of it's capacity after 3 years.

Li-Ion batteries are crap ;) I want hydrogen batteries or even better some sort of a Radioisotope battery, e.g. Betavoltaic Battery (30 years power without recharging, a dream ;) )

6. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

@tomtheweirdguy: To me, these steps do not require much effort or time. And the benefits of those extra two months (usually more) is greater then the cost of following battery care steps.

@archiwiz: You can warm a battery up by placing it on your lap or rub it with your hands.

@kureshii and Frank: I warm up my battery because over here, the room temperature is like 15 degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.