Basic tablet PC for 10 year old who recently saw Read it and Weep!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Polly2000, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Polly2000

Polly2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

Apologies in advance for lack of intelligent answers!
    Any help appreciated.

1. What is your budget? 150 euro

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Have no idea

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light

•Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    •Compact ~ 10"
    •Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    •Large ~ 13.3"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA or UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? no

7. How many hours battery life do you require? will mostly be used at home or on 2 hour car journeys

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

word processing, sketching, web

9. Do you have an OS preference? not sure what that is

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) MS Office

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Probably but not sure which ones. Those suitable for a 10 year old.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer? Either XGA or SXGA

•XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    •SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    •WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? not really

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? doesn't matter

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    Couldn't find answers in FAQ. I think I require Touch.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    I think so. Again, not sure.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? unsure

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? no

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? no

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

My 10 year old recently saw Read it and Weep and loves the laptop / tablet that the main character uses, which looked very high spec to me.

I'd like to get her a very basic model that she can use for mainly writing / typing, sketching, surfing the web.

Any advice appreciated as I'm completely clueless!
    END COPY

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

150 Euros? That'll be tight, especially depending on European pricing for the models I have in mind.

You might be able to squeeze in a Toshiba Portege M200 or HP TC1100 with that budget, but I can't say that as confidently as I could to someone else in the States, where I know the eBay pricing far better.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum.
    I'm guessing you are going to be buying this for your 10 year old daughter.

You will want it to have an Active Digitizer Pen, as they are the best thing for writing on the screen. Unfortunately only the more expensive Tablet PC's will have those; the far cheaper "Entertainment Tablets" (these include the iPad, Android Tablets, and knockoffs of these) will not have a Active Digitizer Pen.
    You will also want it to run Windows 7 or Vista (they are effectively the same, and they both have great support for using a Active Digitizer Pen)

Fortunately though you can get an amazing price on a good used Tablet PC (most likely from ebay) Do you know how to play the ebay bidding game? (if not I know there are a few members here who can give you a crash course)

For example here is a good Tablet PC (a large 14" screen one) Gateway CX2750 2.0 GHz Core Duo 14? TABLET LAPTOP PC on eBay (end time 12-Dec-10 15:37:40 GMT) Now if you were to bid on this one it would be best to wait until the bid time just about runs out, that way you don't draw attention to it , and the price won't go up as fast.
    Here are a few more to look at
    --Toshiba Portege 3500 Laptop Tablet P3500 PC - GWO on eBay (end time 12-Dec-10 11:50:32 GMT)
    --HP Compaq tc1000 not tc1100 Laptop Tablet PC ipad on eBay (end time 06-Dec-10 22:01:27 GMT)
    --Fujitsu Stylistic ST5112 Tablet PC with Pen, Core Duo on eBay (end time 11-Dec-10 20:45:02 GMT) (this one looks intriguing, take a good look at it)

Tips on what to avoid entirely (these are those "Entertainment Tablets" I was talking about) They do not have the right hardware to write on them, they cannot run the software you would need to, and they are very cheaply built.
    Avoid ones that do not have a Active Digitizer Pen, ones that do not have a specific model or brand, and ones that are clearly "Entertainment Tablets"
    Here is a "generic" or piece-o-junk, device. tablet pc 10" on eBay (end time 07-Dec-10 18:59:51 GMT)
    Here are some examples of "Entertainment Tablets" that cannot fulfill your needs in any way.
    --7" Wifi Google Epad ANDROID Apad TABLET PC Touch Screen on eBay (end time 06-Dec-10 12:55:33 GMT)
    --ANDROID 7" TABLET PC CASE EBOOK READER GALAXY TAB P1000 on eBay (end time 31-Dec-10 11:50:56 GMT)

Now, because you are looking at getting a kinda expensive Tablet PC (it is really a laptop, as it has the same hardware as a laptop, and does the same things; plus it has the Active Digitizer Pen and a few other featurea that make it different) You should see if your daughter has any money saved up (or money she will get for Christmas) that she would be willing to put towards this device that is for her.

PS: keep in mind that none of these will exactly be small or light as they are basically full laptops, and thus can do everything a laptop can do.
    You can always look into a getting a "e-ink" sort of device (one that has a Active Digitizer Pen) For example there is this one -http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1780&news=asus+eee+note+pda- that is coming out some time early 2011. I myself have been looking at getting this device as it is currently selling in Taiwan for the equivalent of $230, and the price is sure to drop down a bit from there.

4. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, forget the entertainment tablets. Get all aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc. to pitch in and buy her a proper TabletPC (especially if she is very interested in drawing and art). Agent9 did a good research job for you there, if you can get the budget up a bit we can make some more suggestions.

5. Polly2000

Polly2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I was actually wondering about the "entertainment" type tablets. So are they completely unsuitable then?

I was hoping to get this for a Christmas present.

Have no clue about the eBay bidding game so any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks again.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the handwriting/ note taking/ Journaling, are important (it sounds like the main reason you are looking for this) then your only option is to get a Tablet PC, not a Entertainment Tablet

If it is a Christmas present, then you should ask the seller if you could return it after Christmas (because it is for your daughter, and you aren't entirely sure it is what she wants; just be polite to the seller and he/she may oblige)

There are plenty of people here who would be willing to help you with the ebay part (I'll Private Message them and see if they will help)

Also if you find something you think might work -but you aren't sure- you can post a link back here and we can tell you if it is any good.

Good Luck!

7. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

If she is not really into art much, but just doodles every now and again, and you suspect her liking the one she saw is just about the coolness factor etc. and she will in essence just use it like a bigger iPod, then they will be fine, you will probably have to get a stylus extra as most don't come with one. But that is like giving her a set of permanent markers to draw with, or a box of finger paint, instead of a huge box of pencils and brushes with different thickness and hardness etc. Of course you can also draw good stuff with permanent markers, but you hit the limits of what is possible rather soon. If she is into "real" drawing, or wants to get into it, and wants to do word processing etc. with handwriting, then they are not the way to go.

8. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Just because I was curious I did some digging. The answer I found was that the movie used a Gateway M275.

Ebay is definately the best choice for older machines. It's fairly easy to browse around the different models and get an idea of what types of failures they have, which are more prone to breakage, and what gets lost. You can also get an idea by prices of what models remain popular even now, and what spare parts will be available should you need them.

I concure that the current crop of entertainment slates are toys that will soon be tossed aside. Tablet PC's are real computers that can be counted on to do real work for many years to come.

When you're shopping, just makes sure that the one you choose is a complete running machine, (memory, hard drive, bottom hatch covers, stylus, battery (even if it's not great), power adapter, and a loaded operating system (or the software to reload it). Piecing together after the fact could be a real nightmare.