1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Basic tablet for viewing Word documents + Email

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Sumarokov, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sumarokov

Sumarokov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I am one of those people who, when they buy a new washing machine or TV, always buy the simplest kind, because I know that even then I will not use 90% of the functions. I am not into playing games or watching videos (my laptop is a Toshiba, cos it has a large memory, large screen and is simply a good "workhorse").

Now I am looking for suggestions as to what is the best tablet for me to buy so that I can continue basic work functions when I travel. The main needs are being able to open documents in Microsoft Word or PDF (editing is less important, but maybe good to have the possibility), surf the net on wifi (so I can check and open mail), maybe take photographs with it as well, oh and possibly have Google Maps. That is about it! What do people recommend?
  2. Clive Upton

Clive Upton Pen Pal - Newbie

My sentiments and requirements too. Did you get any recommendations?
  3. Sumarokov

Sumarokov Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1). It is a bit hard to use after being used to Word, but it basically does the trick. One problem is not being able to use the inbuilt Google maps without a Wifi connection (although you can save maps beforehand if you know where you're going). You would think that with our technological capabilities, a company could produce a tablet that uses Word and has inbuilt Google maps that can always be opened, even (particularly!) in the middle of nowhere.......
  4. Clive Upton

Clive Upton Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your message