Bare Screen Regrets?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Image quality decreases a little bit depending on the brand and the degree of anti-glare. If you get a thick anti-glare coating the image will seem to look worse. But from my experience, mostly the text won't be less sharp. It's the color that gets muted a little bit. The effect is also more pronounced if you are not looking at it from dead straight. But otherwise it is hardly noticeable after the first few hours of using it. So if you are doing a lot of movie watching in dark rooms (because if there's any kind of light around you, you will benefit from the anti-glare) and you like to watch from a funny angle, or if you do photo/video editing and need 100% Adobe RGB or something like that, then sure, avoid matte screen protectors. For anyone else I'd say the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. You can try it and see for yourself. You can get decent ones for like $5-10 for a pack of two or three. If you don't like the image or the inking feel, which for me is also a huge benefit, you can just take it off. Klear cut and supershieldz are pretty good and pretty cheap too.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

+1 for screen protectorless success.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I really hate the feel of plastic on glass, or even skin on glass. I recently bought a new tablet, and it took about 2 weeks before I had a matte screen protector for it. I hardly used it in the meantime, simply because I just couldn't stand the feeling :p

I never noticed any sharpness decrease. But then, I won't use the device without a protector in the first place. So, I never get used to it without one.

For me, glare/reflection/fingerprints are way more annoying than a somewhat less colorful or even less sharp screen.

On my SP2, I really need that screenprotector though. Not sure if the screen could withstand nails and teeth... The protector is scratched a lot!

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly the reason I moved away from matte sp.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ah, the joys of safe computing..I have used tempered glass protectors on smartphones for years, but that is to save me from shattered screen repairs. On computers and tablets - no SP for me and so far so good. Main thing is to clean the pen nib occasionally to avoid gunk getting between it and the screen - that's what brings on the scratches.

SAM 2013 likes this.
  6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2 Surface Pro computers and no screen protector.
    Although I think an anti-glare of some sort would help when outside.

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

My SP has a SP. Not only because of the pen, but mostly because of nails. To be specific: cat nails. My cat likes to play on my tablet :D

Besides, I never liked the feel of naked glass.

SAM 2013 and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Ditto. That's a major reason for me, too. Though with her it's also teeth. She chews things and especially things that I handle. She gets scolded then forgiven because...
    IMG_1442.JPG

Sweetpea8472, SAM 2013 and Bronsky like this.
  9. SAM 2013

Cat = 1
    Sweetpea = 0
    :)

10. SAM 2013

Ahmmmm....Mr Straus:
    Do you own a tablet long enough to get scratches?
    ;)

Bronsky and dellaster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.