Backup Solutions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Smiley, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiley

Smiley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

I do not yet have a backup solution and have been reading up on several methods. I want to be able to backup everything on my tablet-all files and as an image. How can I do this? I've been taking a look at Acronis True Image. Were there any other software or services?

I've been thinking about an online backup solution, but might get an external hard drive if that's all I need. Do external hard drives fail/break often?

I appreciate any comments on the methods/services you use. For context, I'm a college student and am alternating between school and work every 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

Smiley :p

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using Paragon for a couple of years now and have been very pleased with the performance (after several recoveries after I did some "experimenting"). I am so confident with this software that I no longer let Windows slow down my system with it's backup, but instead rely on nightly backups to keep me straight.

3. bline

bline Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I have never used Paragon, i looked a bit on the site and found this...it is a free download for their "Drive Bakcup 9.0 Express"

worth checking out I guess...I will also be getting a new tablet and be interested in a backup system so if you decide to try it let me know

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/?__utma=1.1739471600282521600.1239656445.1239656445.1239656445.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1239656445&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1239656445.1.1.utmcsr=paragon-software.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=112857860

4. TabbedOut

In all honesty I probably won't, even though I have full confidence that it will work as well as Paragon 9.0 Personal. Something I have learned along the way is not to mess with a system that works. The only way that I could test and confidently endorse is if I backed up with the software you mentioned then wiped my drive and recovered from that backup. I hope you understand.

5. bline

bline Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh sorry I did not mean to ask you to try that....I was just using your quote to give my post context...I was referring to Smiley letting me know if he does decide to try the free download...sorry for the mix up

6. TabbedOut

no problem, I would be interested too if Smiley tests out the software.

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are several softwares available, Paragon, Acronis, Norton Ghost, ...

I don't do a backup of my system and don't use such a program, I just don't like them :)
    I saved my data on a different computer and on an external drive. I don't modify these files, thus I don't need to refresh the backup.
    The files I modify have about 3GB at the moment, which I also backup on the second PC and on an external drive. To keep them synchronized I use MS SyncToy. Additionally do I also use MS Live Mesh to backup those files immediately, too.

If my HDD fails, then I'll have to install the whole system again, copy the files from my external HDD to the new HDD and download my latest files from Live Mesh.

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

MS has a free program called synctoy2 - it's much better than the first version. I use it to keep duplicates of files I have selected onto two backup drives. I have set it up to never delete, so I have all versions of my files. I also use Carbonite for online backup - it works really well but costs $50 a year.

Both of these programs let me have good backups, and I don't have to think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.