Backup software options (complete OS image)

Discussion in 'Software' started by digital doctor, Sep 7, 2017.

1. digital doctor

digital doctor Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to backup a new to me tablet (Motion LE 1700).
    I want to be able to restore the tablet to the state it is in today, sometime in the future.

My plan is to split the c drive into c and d.
    Backup c (system files) with Acronis True Image to d.
    And then try to restore C from the image on D.

I probably need a better plan.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I use Windows Image Backup. Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe /BLBBACKUPWIZARD and run it daily. First time copies the entire drive, every successive backup only copies/deletes changed files.

It's not a true "disk image backup" but it works. I think you can't store the backup on the same disk you're backing up, better use an external drive. You could get 512GB/1TB for cheap.

digital doctor likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I highly recommend Macrium Reflect. It is completely free for consumers with no registration necessary. It allows you to backup from Windows or from its USB boot and recovery tool any partition or set of partitions. In the event you cannot boot your system, you can create a USB boot recovery device from a blank flash drive and recover your files. Like Windows Image Backup, you can also do differential backups (backs up the entire selected system initially and then subsequent backups only back up the differences in data to save space). In addition, you can mount the backup images as virtual hard drives and selectively copy data over without having to do a full-blown restore. This is perfect for situations like if you accidentally deleted a critical document but you did not want to do a full restore to get it back.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Druid and digital doctor like this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Windows Image Backup provides an option to create a bootable recovery drive too, and the backups are stored as VHD disk images so you can mount them and browse them with Disk Management on the Computer Management console. It doesn't let you select which partitions to back up, though.