Backing up Tx2000z HD, sending in for repairs

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DRTigerlilly, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan18

Stan18 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have two issues - about a month ago i spilled water on my laptop and it turned off and won't turn on anymore. So, I requested a box from HP and they said they would have me send it in and they'd look at it, and if its accidental damage I could pay for repairs.

First, I took out the harddrive (a hitachi travelstar 5k250) and tried to back it up - first by getting (on ebay) one of those back-up all-in-one things. Didn't work, it wouldn't detect the drive as a drive (but detected a usb attached). The same goes when I bought an SATA external case and tried it with that. Is there something wrong with the hard drive, or am I missing something?

Second, After I requested a box I didn't get it for a while (aka after 8 emails over 3 1/2 weeks) so i called them. After much uselessness and transfering, it turns out I had to pay $390 upfront for a motherboard replacement, that spilling water on my laptop automatically voids the warranty the laptop came with, and what they told me originally (ship, they'd look at it) didn't mean anything, and they didn't pick up on that after the 8 emails. The next day I get a notification from HP saying they send me a box. Should I send it in? Would I have to pay for it to get shipped back if I refuse to pay the $390? I figure I could just buy a mobo off ebay and have my friend install it for me, but I'm not sure thats the problem yet.

Thanks for any help

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it is very likely you will have to pay for it to be shipped back, if your warranty has been voided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.