back from second RMA

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jdwilson, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, my R1F is back again. Since I sent it in for the same repairs that were in the first RMA, Asus paid for the shipping to California. (I had to ask for it)

I reported the battery issue, static on the headphone port, and my unique frustration--wifi that turns itself off when on AC power (and which makes the tablet unstable and likely to bluescreen a few seconds to minutes later).

Asus replaced the motherboard again, the battery again, and this time they replaced the bottom case. Last night I used the tablet about 1 hour on wifi while tethered to AC power and the adapter didn't shut itself off. Could they have finally fixed that problem?? I'll reserve judgment after using it some more.

I also tried out the headphone port...static is still there. It might be less than it was before, but it appears that static is a design flaw. I'd actually already resigned myself to just accepting that. Using my etymotic er4p canal phones with a VERY low impedance, makes the static hear-able. But even modest headphones like the sennheiser PX-100s (which are an awesome portable headphone) barely pick up the static. The impedance is all of only 20 ohms or so higher than the etymotics and boom!...no static. (etys are 27 ohms while the px-100s and most portable cans are in the low 50s)

As far as the battery..who knows. I'm using the main battery now (and staying away from my modular bay battery) in order to test whether I've finally gotten a battery that'll hold up over time. The main battery is reporting well over 3 hours of life on dvd mode and wifi on...just running firefox.

I'll report back over time so we can see if Asus really fixed things this time. Here's hoping.

...fingers crossed......

2. cecirdr

Well, after testing things a bit, at least 2 of the 3 reasons I sent the tablet in for are still not repaired. The wifi still turns itself off if I'm on AC power and charging the tablet. This would be an annoyance if I could just turn it back on, but if I try to do that, the machine will blue screen and crash. If I try to restart, the R1F will hang on start up and just sit there. The only solution is to turn the tablet off completely and let it sit for a while.

I've told this to asus both times I've sent the tablet in. Last time I asked them to be diligent before sending my tablet back to ensure that things really were fixed. When I got it back, it appeared that Asus hadn't even turned it on, much less run it for the time required to get the wifi to turn off.

I dont' know if you have to be actively browsing the web (running data through the wifi chip) while charging the battery, but this morning it failed on me after only 30 minutes.

So..static still there. Wifi still hosed. I wonder if the battery is really a good one this time?

Time to start another RMA process. Does asus not care that some folks bought lemons and are out nearly two grand? Apparently we're just statistics on a cost-benefit analysis.

Sigh......

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That all sucks. The blue screen situation says bad driver, which could be a hardware related, but did you try this ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. cecirdr

Thanks alphaswift. I'll give it a try.

I've rebuilt the tablet and everything is in the default state. Surely Asus has an adequate driver? The other day, I was using the tablet on AC (but it wasn't charging the battery) and the wifi was stable for at least 1.5 hours of internet time. So I'm wondering if there's a connection with charging the battery?? Also...the machine is unstable unless I let it sit (turned off) for 30 minutes or so before trying to turn the wifi back on.

I'm mystified as to why the static and wifi problems are persisting after 2 motherboard changes. I hadn't thought to send in my AC adapter. I think I'll do that for my next RMA. I'll try the link you provided though.

Thanks again.

5. cecirdr

The driver from the link is much better than the original one provided with the laptop. Originally the driver and software always reported than I had excellent signal when I knew danged well that it should be poor. After the update, the signal strength is reported correctly. Thanks alphaswift!

As a further report on whether my tablet is working better..I'm now using my battery for a second run-down. I only ran it down to 35% on the first discharge. After a recharge, it's still reporting 3:20 or so on dvd mode with light wifi use and no bluetooth.

I have to admit, I'm nervous about running the battery below 30% or trying the wifi while on AC power. But I won't know if things are fixed unless I do it. Thanks again for the link. I'll be back later with the results of further "tests".

6. alphaswift

As far as the static goes, I think it's a design flaw that will never be fixed. You can get better drivers here ( they help only a bit up to now, but extra bonus -- new drivers were posted yesterday!)

Or you can toss in the towel like I did and buy something like this.
    The device is a little smaller than a thumb drive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. ejl

ejl Pen Pal - Newbie

i would just like to mention that at least 2 users of the asus v6j that reportedly have the bad wear problem have had the problem fixed for at least a month. i don't know if this means that it has also been fixed for the r1f, but it is a good possibility.

8. alphaswift

How was it fixed?

9. ejl

ejl Pen Pal - Newbie

unfortunately, i don't have the details....you can try pming calebschmerge on notebookreview.com.

10. cecirdr

Well, I almost hate to report it lest I jinx things. But after loading the new driver and software, my tablet hasn't turned off the wifi while on AC power. I've used it twice while plugged in and charging...both from about 65% battery. I'll try running the battery down lower so that the charging cycle will need to run longer. But in the past, the wifi would shut down after only 30 mins.

How odd if I've RMA'd this tablet twice for a driver issue. I rebuilt the computer each time and therefore it was in a stock state and the problem was still there. Nevertheless, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I don't understand it, but I'll take it. :)

So far, the battery is also behaving, but I haven't run it down below 45% or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.