Back From Repair

Discussion in 'Asus' started by SAM 2013, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wonder if they're putting in an improved LCD panel?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well my screen protector was gone so I actually do believe they exchanged it for a newer or at least more recent version. I don't know enough but I assume the digitizer is embedded in the LCD panel and hopefully this will eliminate the stylus problem. So far but this obviously still very early the only time I lose pen contact are the few moments when I've changed a setting such as doing a calibration and I relate that more to the Atom processor than anything else.

3. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I was going to stop these weekly updates but last week's fiasco threw that out the window. I keep writing because I assume people want to keep hearing stories about these repairs...

Surprisingly, after my pen died (30 days post RMA) for two solid days. I managed to get it working again sometime last weekend. It has been rock solid again since then. Despite regular use, multiple reboots, and a windows update the pen has been working flawlessly this whole week.

I tell you, I was so ready to dump this thing cheap on eBay last week, but as others say, when this tab works as it should, it sure is a nifty device. Hopefully the pen will keep working until the fall when I hope to replace it with either a SP3, an HP Elitepad, or HP Pro Tablet.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So now I have taken down an hour of Windows upgrade or so, installed my languages. Attached a new screen protector, tested a couple of pens and everything seems to be working fine, so fine actually that I'm using it right now entering this post. One oddity I discovered is that the X close button that was introduced in a major Win 8.1 upgrade is gone and Metro apps no longer appear on the Task Bar on the desktop.Hence, I might still be in for a surprise or two.

5. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Over a week in without issues. All Windows updates are applied. I wish I knew whether the digitizer was replaced, but for sure the system board was.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They replaced my screen (unforseen circumstance delay,
    they apparently broke it)
    It is definetly brighter than the old one.

7. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, another week and the stylus is working still. Go Figure.
    Perhaps the self destruct sequence is still running, perhaps not. After those 2 days without the pen, things have been running perfectly for 2 weeks now.

8. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nearly 3 weeks without issue after a replacement system board. For anyone who has had a repeat issue after RMA: was your system board replaced or some other part? (If any?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

My I/O board was replaced. I cannot say whether that is separate from from the system board on this device or not.

My first 30 days post-RMA were mint. Since then I have had intermittent loss of pen (see previous posts). Once again I lost the pen this week (yesterday). It cut out for four hours. None of the tricks worked during that timeframe. After 4 hours I remembered that someone was hypothesizing the pen-loss issue could be related to the power/volume buttons. Well, since nothing else was working I tried the "button mash" technique. I very firmly pressed both directions on my volume rocker and then my power button (not so hard as to break them, but harder than I would in normal use). I deleted the device from device manager and powered down the system. Amazingly, on restart IT WORKED!

Does the button mash really work? Was it coincidence? I tend to think the latter (coincidence) but I don't care. Once again I'm working.

10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hm....

My pen was working perfectly until I started to turn off my device using the powerbutton... (which is easier to do than trying to click that option while in a moving car...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.