Babylon 5 Reboot

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Steve S, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

doobiedoobiedum, Bishop and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I'm willing to give it a go, assuming it's on a streaming service I have—I sure wouldn't sign up for a service just for this. BUT! J. Michael must first promise not to have filler episodes anywhere near as cringe-worthy as his Penn and Teller one. Just thinking about it makes me squirm and wince in vicarious embarrassment.

Bishop likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

The trouble with that reboot is you can't hide the McGuffin or the other "plot twists" without rewriting. I'd almost be more interested in having him remaster the CGI/special effects like they did for ST: TOS and leave the characters and that story line alone.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  4. Steve S

As an aside, I happened to review the storylines for 5 seasons of the Twilight Zone yesterday. It's sobering to realize that way back when, it was customary to produce somewhere between 22 and 30 individual episodes a season!

Show running a series, even today, is clearly not for the faint of heart. And I think it easily explains why even the best of shows will pop a Penn and Teller episode every now and then...

5. Bishop

The Penn & Teller episode was one of several odd side quests in B5. The opportunity with TV is to create a group of more complete characters who have full lives and all that goes with the "small stuff" we're not supposed to sweat. Audiences get invested in the minutiae. Otherwise, why have shows like Grey's Anatomy lasted so long?

The epic nature and pace of modern movies (threaten, save the world/universe and tell an origin story in under 2.5 hours), and possibly the ADHD of the audiences won't tolerate the daily lives side of character development.

The tension between the two formats is why it has been so hard to bring Dune, Foundation (most anything Asimov, really) or Wheel of Time to TV or theater. Classic Sci-Fi is built on explication and is designed to make you think - which is hard to do between commercials.

I always respected JMS for B5 straddling the epic-story-arc-on-the-small-screen challenge about as well as I've seen it done.

Maybe GOT got there too. Admission: I only read the first 2 Game of Thrones books and never saw a single minute of the HBO series; so I can't compare it from personal experience.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Mind you, I don't dislike "side quest" elements in TV. The Penn & Teller (and others) episode makes me shudder because it was bad. Like Happy Days Fonzie jumping the shark episode bad, without the iconic appeal.

I read GOT as the hardbacks came out and by the end of the third book I discovered I no longer cared what happened to any remaining characters. So I stopped. And I never watched the series. My interest was non-existent.

Bishop likes this.
  7. Bishop

Absolutely. As Dandy Don used to sing, "Turn out the lights, the party's over...."

PRECISELY.

8. Steve S

My point, indirectly, was that in an epic story you need to have "side dramas" to maintain audience interest while the overarching storyline percolates in the background. And creating a suitable number of these side dramas sometimes results in a Penn and Teller encounter...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I never saw this series but after reading this thread, I have to look up the Penn and Teller episode.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Completely coincidentally I started from season 1 episode 1 just two weeks ago. Apart from the terrible CGI for the "outside" shots, I like it quite a bit. Great makeup on the aliens, and some quality actors under it. I also enjoy the longer arc approach over the ST TNG "we have parked next to planet x because of a distress call" case of the week approach.