B121 and video drivers

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by webkrawler, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

Based on a few of the posts here, I changed the WMD Video Drivers that Windows 8.1 aitomatically assigned to the Windows 7 drivers from the Asus website.

I have to recommend that you do NOT do this as I am changing back to the WMD drivers.

The problem I am having is that when the device reboots, the text on the window disolves after a few seconds and you are left with just whatever color background
    you chose. 95% of the time this is not an issue as it just says "Windows is shutting down" or whatever Windows 8 says and it turns off pretty quickly. BUT, when
    there are updates, you can read the screen as to the percentage of the installation of the updates. The text on the screen with this information disolves away after
    a few seconds and you are left with no text.

2. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

Isn't full windows update enough?

3. webkrawler

From the posts here people were talking about the Windows performance numbers. Or score. The score was higher when they
    used the Windows 7 drivers.

I can understand this. BUT, now that I am having this issue where I can't see the text on the shutdown, it's not worth the extra points on the
    Windows score.

4. webkrawler

I have played with the Windows 7 drivers but I get the best results with the drivers Windows 8 installs on its own.

5. Robinhood2013

Robinhood2013 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am running windows 7 and had problems with drivers so I used latest intel ones from intels site and problems solved

6. Robinhood2013

Robinhood2013 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am now having max cpu spiking 100% problem after re running windows7 updates. Had to remove update and stop windows running auto updates to be able to run anything on my 121b.

I dont appear to have any virus and the 100% cpu spiking problem only happens after windows does the update.

Does anyone know why and how to sort out the problem so that I can allow windows to run the updates automatically with out it giving me the cpu spiking 100% problem. ?

7. webkrawler

It's really hard to tell. Drivers interact with Windows in odd ways and who knows what update exactly caused the problem.

You could install each update one at a time and then run the tablet for a few days to see which one caused the issue.

But, this could be lengthy and not very fun.

Is there a reason why you haven't upgraded your tab to Windows 8.1? I have used Windows XP Tablet Edition as well as Windows 7 pro on many tablets and Windows 8.1 has got them all beat hands down as far as usability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.