B&N Nook Color with rooted android

Discussion in 'Barnes & Noble' started by DocRobbs, Apr 27, 2011.

1. DocRobbs

DocRobbs Too busy to be here much

Does anyone have experience with using a Nook Color that is running either Android 2.2 Froyo or Honeycomb 3.0?

There are a number of E-Bay vendors selling a microSD with the OS and by booting into the SD you have a fully rooted android tablet.

Since pulling the card and rebooting takes you back the to original OS this sound pretty good. Too good to be true?

I would assume a fast microSD would work OK. Processor is kinda slow and might need to be reclocked. Just wondering how it really works.

Some time in the future I will get an Ipad but for now I was thinking I would like an E-book reader. I liked screen of the Nook color in the store, not thrilled with the battery life. I tried someones Kindle and it was OK. It was an older model and really didn't wow me. They bought a nook color and really like it.

Anyway if a simple boot into the card would give me a full android tablet that just might push me over the edge.

2. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have direct experience, but on a recumbent forum I frequent, one of the reliable and long-time members there has exactly this setup going and he raves about it. The only issue I see is that some eBay transactions can be hit or miss.

:)ensen.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Just a comment.

For her birthday last year, I bought my wife a B&W Nook. She had done extensive research into e-book readers and had satisfied herself that the Nook was what she wanted.

It was the worst experience that I've ever had with an electronic device. In addition to a sluggish and frequently barely responsive user interface, it simply wouldn't connect to our home WiFi network (more properly, it would connect, but then drop out). We were never able to download a single e-book wirelessly.

The real problem turned out to be that B&N provided absolutely no useful support for the device. The folks at our local store, who I suppose were nice people, were technically completely incompetent to offer useful suggestions or even guess at the nature of the problem. (Not really their fault, I know, but retailers should be responsible for the goods that they sell.)

Worse, B&N online support, which was supposed to be the main source of expert help, was completely unresponsive. I mean that. Completely unresponsive. Except for a few FAQ's, none of which were relevant, there was nothing to help me troubleshoot the problem. Ditto for calling on the phone.

Turned out that my wife was even more disgusted than I was! We returned the Nook and bought a Kindle. It worked immediately out of the box, and except for that strange case that had a short circuit in it (which Amazon notified us of and provided a replacement case), I don't think the Kindle has given my wife any other trouble. She seems to really like it.

Bottom line: I'd think long and hard before I'd buy another Nook of any type. For sure you should definitely check out their online support to see how comprehensive it appears to be...

4. kranaux08

kranaux08 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I can buy the new monster Appel, the one who just came out.