Axiotron Stylus works with Other TPCs?

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by st1tcount, Aug 3, 2010.

1. st1tcount

st1tcount -Classified Information-

Hi,

I was wondering if any of y'all with Modbooks ever tried it on another Tablet PC. My 2730p stylus recently broke and I wanted to know if I could use the Axiotron one since they are cheaper to pick up an come with a variety of nibs to start with.

Sorry if this is off topic, hope one of you with the Modbook have the capacity to test it out on some other Wacom Penabled device.

Thanks in advance!

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

From my understanding, and I'm new to this so I may be wrong, all of the Wacom Penabled pens (both the Modbook and the HP TM2 are Wacom Penabled, as are a few others including the illustrious Lenovo X201t) are interchangeable.

There are also other Wacom penabled pens, although the Axiotron Studio Pens are the best Wacom penabled pens still available out in the wild.

Mine comes on Monday/Tuesday, my TM2 is not scheduled to be assembled until November 1st.

The Modbook does distinguish itself as being the best of the Wacom Penabled options, but at a $3k entry fee, I'm ok with having only 256 levels of pressure sensitivity instead of 512. I have seen incredible artwork come from both.

4. wiggy1

wiggy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't speak for which stylus you need, but I will say that there are differences among the Wacom pens and they are not universal. I know the Cintiqu pens will not work with my Wacom digitizer on my HP TX2525nr nor on my Motion Computing tablets. Also the stylus used for the USB tablets for your desktop don't work with the tablet PC's. With that said, as long as you get one that is designed for Tablet PC's (generally referred to as Penabled) then you should be fine.

5. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

The Axiotron Studio Pen works great on my Fujitsu T4410, and should do so on all other penabled tablets. The penabled pens are interchangeable like triggrhaapi said, a friend of mine has to TM2 and we can switch pens without any problems.

6. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

I love my Axiotron Studio Pen to death. I can draw with it on this thing in a way I've never been able to do with any other medium. I friggin love this thing. I draw on it almost nightly, and it is sublime. My art is getting ten times better.

7. dohertp

dohertp Pen Pal - Newbie

If i was taking notes all day at university, do you think i would notice a differance, with this pen over the standard pen. My stylus is not broken but i was wondering whether it would be worth using an Axiotron stylus for better quality notes.

Thanks

8. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have the normal pen for the Axiotron devices, but I did buy a studio pen for use with my Fujitsu ST5112, works very well.

And yes I think if I was trying to write all day I would notice the difference with the studio pen, the soft silicone in the grip area makes it much less fatiguing for me to use. I use it with the spring tip which gives a nice pen on tablet of paper cushioning. To me it was well worth the $30 over the stock Fujitsu pens. The down side is that the Studio pen does not fit in the pen holder inside my tablet.

I've also used it with my resistive screen media player and will work with other resistive devices so it does have multiple functions. Will not do anything with a capacitive touchscreen though.

9. KosanRio

KosanRio Pen Pal - Newbie

If you were to say use an Axiotron Studio Pen on a ThinkPad X61 Tablet, would you get 512 Pressure levels or still just 256? I'm not sure weather the pressure levels are based on the digitizer or the pen.

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@KosanRio

To the best of my knowledge all Wacom Tablet PC active digitizer pen (Penenabled) technology is the same and uses hardware that is capable of 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, but for various reasons it is limited by the rest of the Wacom hardware/ software to 256 levels... This isn't a big deal at all because you really aren't loosing any finesse or accuracy in pressure, but are gaining a ton in non-art programs (apparently anything that uses the WinTab driver solely can only properly support 256 levels of pressure sensitivity, anything over and it starts looking awful -based on what I remember reading from members here that have the old cintiq that work with the pen enabled pens)

so short answer: yes that pen (and all other Wacom penenabled pens) support 512 (possibly more) levels of pressure; but the Tablet PC hardware, drivers, and OS limitations will limit you to 256 levels [not that you'd notice the difference really].