Awesome touch-friendly desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by singisumina, Aug 25, 2010.

1. singisumina

singisumina Pen Pal - Newbie

After a lot of web searching, I thought Bumptop was cool. It is, except it gets old after a while (tapping and whatnot)...

The REALLY awesome/perfect touch-friendly desktop is a combination of a desktop mod + a skin. Rainmeter (x64/x86) with Omnimo skin is an absolute must if you're trying to use your Tablet PC in slate mode most of the time. It's quite gorgeous and functional - I highly recommend it.

Rainmeter.net
    Omnimo 2 for Rainmeter by =fediaFedia on deviantART

[​IMG]

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Thanks, looks cool.

3. singisumina

:D Glad you like it - it was fun trying to figure out which desktop enhancements worked best to try and maximize my use/ease of use in slate mode...

The greatest thing about this desktop is also that it follows your desktop changes if you change to slate mode! AUTO-DETECTS! So, with this particular skin, I have it configured to swap certain tiles/panels around when I'm in slate mode, and it switches back when I'm typing away again. AND I have it set in case I'm multi-monitoring, in which case I can have multiple tiles extending/solely on the second monitor. You get the idea.
    You can get it by configuring this plugin: Rainmeter forums: View topic - RainRez

Also, Dexpot works with Rainmeter with a beta plugin, so if you prefer to use VDMs, this is a clincher. That's here: Dexpot forums: View topic - Need Help Using Dexpot with Rainmeter 1.3 Beta

If anyone else has a desktop skin/manager/etc. that has anything remotely like these features, let me know!

-------
    Photos of my desktop on slate/normal horizontal laptop mode (Rainmeter w/ Omnimo 2 skin)
    - I'm on a Lenovo X201T, so I tried several configurations of panels/tiles to maximize efficiency on the small screen (12") for tablet use.
    (Note: It's not small for tablets, but many Rainmeter/Omnimo users are on larger/wider screens so they can use many more tiles)
    - Aside from Rainmeter, I have Rainlendar Pro installed for the Events/To-Do section to keep my calendars sync'd in these screenshots.
    - The taskbar is set to Hidden, and I primarily use the Windows key panel to access it if need be.
    - I installed Switcher and programmed it to a Flick, so that I can easily switch between windows while in tablet mode.
    - There are mouse-over features on Rainmeter. Thus, the leaf hides My Documents/Pictures/Etc. Office tile hides links to OneNote, Word, etc.
    Apps hides self-programmable shortcuts to up to 10 icons, so hidden under mine are Bluebeam, Photoshop, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. nathanbarlow

nathanbarlow Pen Pal - Newbie

woooot

this is the shizzle. one of the things people say about my tm2 is that "its just an ipad with a keyboard, minus the pretty and touch-friendly OS" (grr - the issues with that sentence is a whole 'nother post)

*drops study-related stuff*
    *goes to play with this software*
    *is happy happy happy*

5. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

You can find a lot of variants in skins for Rainmeter on deviantart and customize.org some are really cool.

6. singisumina

Hahaha, glad to hear you're messing around with it! :) Don't forget all those extra add-ons I mentioned on the second post to make the most of all the mods available~ Also, keep an eye out for Omnimo 3, rumored to be released soon... with even more features!

True - but if you find one that is as touch-friendly, please post it! I've been searching for a unique desktop layout like Omnimo for a while, but it seems the only one that seems most optimally designed for touch. Looking forward to hearing more ideas!

7. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

im also trying this combo on the tm2. Got tired of bumptop after the first day - black screen problem when switched.

Could you give some detailed advice to integrate rainlendar pro? i Use the calendar to sync with google. Now i have the skin set to clickthough so i can access it.

Also what is switcher and mouseover?

Also in portrait mode it seems to just fill in on the top,, not using entire screen.

8. singisumina

Okay - here goes:

Rainlendar pro - at first, I tried Mulberry's skin for Rainlendar... I wanted something more functional (able to sync) and still pretty:
    Omnimo Calendar by ~Mulberry24 on deviantART

However, I haven't been able to get the skin to work properly (no idea why) and there hasn't been a response from Mulberry. So, instead I'm using the skin named "Soemia" for my screen - I keep the calendar bar on top and just use the events/tasks in the middle... and keep Rainmeter toggled to have the background showing so I don't have to "clickthrough". :) Rainlendar Skins - Soeima's Skin by Soeima - Customize.org

As for mouse-over, see below pics - I like Omnimo 2 because I can hide icons underneath cool pictures and prettify my desktop until I move my mouse over the area, which reveals the functional shortcuts underneath. It's an included feature for Microsoft Office, etc. but you'll need to install the following for an alternative App launcher:
    Alternative Omnimo Launchers by ~Leonick on deviantART

Switcher is analagous to the Mac OS X "Expose" feature. I find it handy to assign it to a pen flick to easily switch between windows: http://www.intowindows.com/switcher-another-fantastic-application-switcher-for-windows-7/

As for portrait mode - re-read my earlier post about using RainRez to optimize it so it recognizes when you're in tablet mode.

Apps mouse-over feature on Omnimo2 & Soeima skin pic below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, got RainRez working with this setting.

[Themes]
    800x1280=omnimo2-portrait
    1280x800=omnimo2-landscape

Just remember to set RainRez at startup. so now working with Rainlendar since that one is important.

10. singisumina

Fantastic :) Glad to hear you got it working! I was just about to post again about the more specific instructions on the forum post about RainRez (View topic - RainRez), but you beat me to it ;) There's the option to name the orientation + size of the screen & also set whatever background/etc. you're using, so I didn't want to just post the "800x1200=blank" version at first. Enjoy - hope your desktop is customized to your liking~