Automatically dim brightness

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Frank, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone know how to change the time until Win 7 dims the screen below 1 minute to maybe only 20 or 30 seconds?

Currently I have to modify the registry to do this, quite cumbersome.
    It also seems to show a strange behavior sometimes, so that it does not always dim the screen after 20 seconds but doubles the time to 40, then 80, ... seconds sometimes if I reactivate the screen too fast and don't wait at least 1 minute. Still better than waiting 1 minute until it dims the screen :)

So does anyone have a tool for this, can I enter it in the power plan settings directly somehow, without the need to edit the registry.

Because with such a short time I could create the perfect powerplan for notetaking :)

2. Stejni

Stejni Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, this would be great! Which registry key are you changing?

3. Dev1ant

Dev1ant Pen Pal - Newbie

I concur with this...it'd actually save quite a bit of battery life as 20-30 seconds is fairly reasonable. I also hate how Windows 7 shows you 2 power plans. My goodness, I like to rotate between all 3.

4. Frank

It's a bit difficult, especially because I use a german Win 7 version, but here it is:

Create a new power plan if you want.
    Then open the command prompt (Win + R, cmd) and type
    There you see all your power plans and also their GUIDs. Keep this window open and run the registry editor (Win + R, regedit)
    There, navigate to following path:
    Now you should see as many subitems as you power plans have.
    Switch back to your command prompt window, keep the first characters of the power plan GUID you want change in your mind, switch back to the registry editor and open the desired power plan GUID item.
    Now open the keys
    In the end you should be in following path:
    Now you should see two entries on the right side:
    [​IMG]

If you only see one, don't panic. Keep all the windows open, open your power plan configuration in the control panel, activate your desired power plan and change the dim brightness settings to a different value for both AC and DC, save the changes, exit it and refresh the registry window with F5.

We have to change those two entries, the value is given in seconds, but stored as HEX number.

Sadly we aren't allowed to change those values.
    Now it gets a bit difficult to explain, because I use a german version, but I googled for the correct translation :)
    To change the permission, we have to right click on the key 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee and select the entry 'Permissions', click on the button 'Advanced' and go to the 'Owner' Tab. The current owner is SYSTEM, select the currently logged in owner, or, if it's the Admin, just select Administrators. Click Ok, and we're back at the permissions window.
    There select the correct user, or the Administrators if you've chosen them, and check 'Full control' for 'Allow', click ok.

Now we can change this values to any value we want.
    Just make sure that you convert the seconds to a HEX value prior.

But as already said, it doubles the time if you reactivate the dimmed screen in less than a minute. So I think the best values are 30s (HEX: 1E) or 15s (HEX: F), so this doubling problem is, in the worst case, 1 minute, then it should reset, I hope :)

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Very clever. I'll have to keep this in mind for when I upgrade to Win7. Have you found a way to reduce the brightness increments? I have my tablet buttons programmed to increase brightness, but they do it on ~30% increments. I'd really like 10% increments.

6. Frank

Sadly not, but I think this is a hardware limitation. On my T2010 I have 8 different brightness settings from off to 100%. Because you only have 4 I think it's not a software issue.

7. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'd be happy with as many increments when using the tablet buttons as I have when I using the slider.

8. Frank

I don't know how many you have with the tablet buttons and how many you have with the slider but you could also just try the tablet button drivers and utilities from the Fujitsu T2010 and /or T5010. It's possible that they also work and maybe give you more steps.