Automatic update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Sorry if this is going to sound alarmist, not really my intention. But I must confess to being a bit worried.
    In Android when an app requires new permissions, it tells you so and if you don't like it you opt out of updating the app. Sometimes they ask for permissions that just doesn't make sense.
    However, apps taken down from the Windows Store, updates themselves in the background. That makes me wonder, what is stopping someone from creating the Windows equivalent of Flying Birds and then in an later update include spyware, or some other kind of malware?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

3 things...

Number 1 - You can turn of Auto Updates and know when things are updating
    Number 2 - WinRT is sandboxed and can only share data via contracts which is very narrow
    Number 3 - Windows Store Apps are assessed and screened unlike Google Play (think a midpoint between Apple's locked down and Google's Wide Open Models)

3. Kumabjorn

1. That turns off all updates, not only the store, no? I want the security updates and drivers and whatnot, and as long as the apps behave I want those updates as well.
    2. I'm using SP3.
    3. Microsoft's wording about permissions is very week, and after a few updates that has worked fine, might not their evaluators be lulled into a sense of security? After all, they aren't robots.

4. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) Pull out the charms bar in the store app and in settings, set automatically update my apps to no and you're all set. Note, you have to be the admin to disable that.
    2) WinRT is an API, it's not Windows RT. You can totally blame Microsoft for using the most confusing name for that one. I get why they'd call it that given the purpose it serves, but seriously, don't call it WinRT if you have an OS called Windows RT, it's all kinds of confusing.
    3) I've already seen complaints about what MS let through their app store, so I can understand your worries somewhat.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Thanks, that makes it a lot clearer. I'm one of those that gets a tad confused by the Charms Bar, I Always Think of it as a global tool and not limited to the app in which it is opened. Need to get used to that, because it is actually quite useful.
    WinRT is even more confusing, thought it was shorthand for Windows RT.

For a time there were apps in Play Store that could limit permissions in other Android apps. I found that very useful but Google killed that with one of their updates. I would like to see the same kind of Control in Windows. To me PC still stands for Personal Computer and that is what drew me to Windows rather than Apple back in the day. The fact that I, and not a Company was in Control, seems like that is slipping away more and more.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Don't get too used to the Charms as they are being replaced in Windows 10...the same functionality but different workflow. I hope we'll see what that is tomorrow.

7. Kumabjorn

Ten hours and counting.

8. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

You can just easily turn off auto update on settings. :)

9. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

Turn off the auto update and when you have time, update them yourself and screen them. If you're really worried.