Automatic display rotation with ProtectSmart Accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by CompuGeek, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompuGeek

CompuGeek Pen Pal - Newbie

You need Microsoft .NET version 4.0 also.

2. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok that was the problem it now works! I will see how it goes with some day to day usage and report back! Great idea btw for using the hd accelerometer, kudos!!

3. Slurpy

Slurpy Pen Pal - Newbie

For some reason, whenever I log off and close the notebook and then come back my screen is upside down, taskbar facing up. This only started to occur when I installed this auto-rotate. Is there some way to fix this? It's very annoying to come back to my laptop, open it in laptop mode, and have the screen upside down.

Also, how do I uninstall this program? There is no documentation.

4. Thom4s

Ok today I noticed a bug, I went from normal mode to vertical tablet which worked ok. Then I shut down the laptop.

When I came back I put the laptop in laptopmode and then put it on and the screen stayed vertical.

5. Spartan117-11

Spartan117-11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello CompuGeek,

I am trying to make my own program(a security program) using the Hp DriveGuard accelerometer. I am using VB for this and I am wondering if you can tell me how you were able to use the accelerometerdll.dll functions. I can't seem to get the right ones and I don't know how to use them. I really would appreciate it.

6. CompuGeek

CompuGeek Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll look into it. As for uninstalling, just delete "C:\Program Files\CompuGeek Software" and the shortcut in your start menu (under startup).

I am not sure how to detect laptop mode versus tablet mode. The only workaround would be to lift and tilt the laptop in order for it to rotate back.

I believe you'd need to do your code in C++ or use C++ for the accelerometer code (in a DLL) and then access it from the VB application.

I say use C++ because there are some functions that are part of the Windows SDK and only accessible from C/C++ (as far as I am aware).

7. alexmel7

alexmel7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed everything and see the little accelerometer icon in my icon bar on the start menu. However, when I close my tablet nothing happens (no rotation of screen). I am running windows 7 64 bit.

8. Thom4s

Check his reply above, he replied to me saying he does not know how to detect rotation of the screen hinge, he only has accelerometer data from base of unit.

9. Pegot

Pegot Pen Pal - Newbie

I am uninstalling and going back to the registry hack for auto-rotating the screen when switching into tablet mode. While your program has great potential, its still a bit too unpredictable. Most of the time it does not rotate, and when it does it occasionally flips my screen upside down. Keep working on it!

10. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank god with the new tm2 there are no issues with auto-rotating (it uses different software). Too bad the rotation is still very random :S
    As for the hinge detection: you could check if the touchpad is enabled. It isn't the solution, just a workaround, but it should do it for a while.