Automatic display rotation with ProtectSmart Accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by CompuGeek, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunker buster

bunker buster Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a late comer for this auto rotate. Anybody has the programs available?

2. ideachu

ideachu Pen Pal - Newbie

CompuGeek,

I wonder if you can share the information on how to read the data from the ProtectSmart sensor programmatically. I'm also a developer, so I wonder if I can help rewrite the driver. I've been looking for such information online but in vain. The only useful link I got was: windows - Accelerometer API for Laptops - Stack Overflow
    but it points back to this thread.

3. sirgrinalot

sirgrinalot Pen Pal - Newbie

I had to re-install windows and I was hunting for this automatic rotation software and noticed the files have been lost, when I almost gave up all hope of getting that feature back again I found all the files on my network hard drive. Apparently I saved them all and forgot about it, lol.

Here is a rar with everything I have.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz0581vSGnL2YlFQdmdjODgwdmM/edit?usp=sharing

;)-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. ideachu

ideachu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for putting up the files, sirgrinalot! Do you also have "ProtectSmartSensor (64-bit).exe" or "ProtectSmartSensor (32-bit).exe" stored somewhere?

5. TheManii

TheManii Pen Pal - Newbie

ProtectSmartSensor (64-bit).exe
    tm2 accelerometer auto-rotate.exe

tm2 accelerometer (x64).exe

It took me several months to realize it, but I do have a backup of the 64bit sensor package.
    (I knew I downloaded it once, but couldnt ever find it, also do not ask for the 32bit one, I know I dont have it)

As the file is relatively small, I expect to be able to host it indefinitely.
    SOMEONE MIRROR IT ANYWAY regardless

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, even UMDF drivers require signing to work now in win8 (disabling signature verification does not count)
    In win7 you could use unsigned UMDF drivers without needing to disable signature verification.

The sensor itself doesnt even seem to work on my system (tm2-1000cto win8pro+MCE all latest patches as of March 1st 2013)
    The auto rotater just immediately crashes upon opening.
    It worked fine under win7 ultimate sp1 on my laptop previously, and very well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This driver does not tie into the native rotation manager in win8 (though that framework might not even have existed when it was originally made)
    How to Disable Screen Auto-Rotation in Windows 8:
    On devices with supported rotation sensors, the brightness button in charms -> settings adds a rotation lock, and the display resolution dialog has another instance of it.

It would be amazing if we could get a new driver that ties into the native rotation manager like win8 native slates/convertibles.
    The protectsmart accelerometer is obviously already capable of it at the hardware level, it simply was never exposed as a sensor to windows (hp's native drivers or a bridge driver like protectsmartsensor)

If that ever happened the rotation button would be much better re-purposed as a rotation lock button, or even as a windows button like on native win8 touch devices.
    (it is so incredibly slow at rotating, rotating though mobility center is almost instant)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Is it possible to set the sensitivity lower, or a simple way to rotate the screen? Would like to get keynoard shortcuts working rotating the screen. The button is useless.

On win 8.

7. ideachu

ideachu Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks to TheManii for posting the missing driver!

8. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

This would really be great about now... it's really cumbersome having to go to desktop to manually rotate, wait for the button to actually work, or pull up the full soft-keyboard to enter a key combination. I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't just make the orientation lock button for non accelerometer devices a screen rotate button, or just put a screen orientation button in devices or something...

9. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey SDreamer,

I'm not sure that's what you are talking about, but if you just want a button on your taskbar or a file on your desktop that you can just click to change the display orientation, that could be something that's doable with AutoHotkey. That's especially true if, as you say, there is a keyboard shortcut to switch orientations. In any case, if that's what you are thinking about, just post back here and include the keyboard shortcuts that you are using and I can try to come up with something (I think it could potentially take only one line of code!)

10. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

Neat little program.

Though the screen doesn't seem to rotate once you put the screen in tablet mode.