Automatic display rotation with ProtectSmart Accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by CompuGeek, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeglej

beeglej Pen Pal - Newbie

I have tried all i have found in this long thread to get this to work. I am not a savvy as some on this forum, so I may have missed something. My problem is at windows startup. A message displays and says tm2 accelerator not working. When I see details it says System IO File Not Found. But I have made sure that the appropriate dll is in place and I am running the 64 bit version of windows and the program.

At this point I would just like to know how to uninstall the program so I don't receive the notification every time i start the pc. Any suggestions?

2. paulbee

paulbee Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right, that does seem weird! Before I try this, I just want to clarify. Should I use the same version of the program twice, or two different versions (as in, the one at the beginning of the thread and the one a couple of pages ago) at once? Is it the sensor or the program that I need to run twice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone get this working properly ?
    If so can you please post how ?

Thanks

4. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone out there ? :confused:

5. Zergling

Zergling Blarrrrrg

ProtectSmartSensor (64-bit)

tm2 accelerometer auto-rotate

install these (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows installed) and make sure you have the HP protect smart driver (which should be obtainable through windows update or HP's site if you don't have it). i installed this after doing a fresh install of windows and if seems to be working better than i had it working previously. there's still the odd time where it doesnt work instantly, but if you wait long enough it'll change orientation in the end. also if you press the hardware rotate button while tilting the screen it will kick in as well

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. HighDecepticon

HighDecepticon Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to say, installed, worked well. I advise for anyone wanting to do this, read through the thread and then install.

+1

7. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

After several hours of futzing with this, I finally got it to work. I had it going with the driver file inside the cab provided by the original poster, but it was SUPER slow to react, and random as hell. It would rarely work, and when it would it was unpredictive and slow enough to not be wortwhile. As a last ditch effort I downloaded 7-zip and extracted the drivers from the original post's cab file and then dug out my old 3d-guard drivers from HP and over-wrote whatever files I could with the files from the cab from the original post. I then ran the setup file (and it used the proper drivers and a proper setup, instead of just installing drivers for the individual part in the device driver, which I had done previously). Restarted, and WHAM, everything worked, fast, smooth, and awesome.

Soooo.... I'm tired, but I'll make these steps as easy as possible, but here are the instructions I used to get it going on win7 64 bit.

1. Download and install .NET framework 4.0
    Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer)

2. Download and install Visual C++ 2010 Distributable (link in original post)
    Download details: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

3. Download and install the hybrid drivers from the link below. I threw them up on a site to store them for you but since this worked really well for me when nothing else did, I'd recommend the OP host a copy as well. It's a hybrid of the installer I had on hand and the extracted cab from the OP, this replaces both the OP's CAB file and the 3D drive guard install, so make sure you uninstall any previous drive guard if you already had one installed (via windows programs and features in the control panel) before running this.
    http://filedump.fujilives.com/tm2t/HPProtSHD_Fujilives.zip

4. Download and install this ProtectSmartSensor. The CMD prompt will hang for a bit, this is fine/normal. Just let it do it's thing and when it finishes, go to the control panel and find "Location and other sensors". Open it and activate the newly added "ProtectSmart Sensor".
    http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/ProtectSmartSensor (64-bit).exe

5. Uninstall previous tm2 rotation tools provided in this thread and install this one afterwards:
    http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/tm2 accelerometer auto-rotate.exe

After a restart I was up and running, rotating like a champ!

Thanks compugeek, this is some bad-ass stuff, not having the portrait view I wanted (at least on demand) from quicklaunch keys was driving me insane, this completely resolves that issue and overcomes the "only two ways" limitation I was having, while being completely more convenient!

Sorry if this is hard to understand, it's 3:00 in the morning and I'd be in bed if I didn't feel absolutely obligated to share this method. I think this 'hybrid' driver method will work for 32 bit users as well, but you will need the 32 bit version of all the links. Gonna go pass out now so I can get to work in the morning.

(edit: I also have quicklaunch buttons installed, after just toying with it it was working perfect for like an hour, then started getting 'unresponsive'. To my suprise, I could tilt it whatever way I wanted, hit the quicklaunch button, and it would reset itself to that orientation. Because it didn't 'rotate around' like normal, and still lets me use all four sides, this is still completely awesome and way better than how it was by default).

8. francoisr

francoisr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Fujilives, thanks for the effort to write this down. (I always appreciate effort like this.)

This method unfortunately had some nasty side effects on my TM2050ea (Win7 64 bit HomePremium). The install worked beautifully while only using the Intel GPU. The moment I switched to the HD5450 GPU Win7 would freeze completely. I had to remove the batteries to recover (Or hold the power button in for like 20 seconds.)

Rolling back cured the problem but my TM2control broke in the process and I've been unable to figrure out how

Advice from anyone?

9. X_Frontil

X_Frontil Pen Pal - Newbie

I also had this problem when i tried the automatic display rotation. It worked very well when i started the programm twice.
    But unfortunately my cpu usage was always at 25% and Windows freezed everytime when i shutdown the laptop. So i rolled back and everything was just fine.

10. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried this app. Didn't quite work out as expected. It mostly wouldn't do anything, though I had updated the drivers to 4.1.1.1 and tried the version of the app that used the Windows 7 sensor implementation. Then it suddenly left my screen upside-down, and then rotated a few more times before not rotating any more.

However, I am using a 2730p, not a tm2. I wouldn't think the hardware is that different, given how the same driver installs and it seems to work the same, amber drive LED coming on when it's enabled and dropped/rapidly moved downward and all. (I do leave 3D DriveGuard/ProtectSmart disabled because of the simple fact that I'm using a SSD. No moving parts to park and protect from shock damage!)

If you can get this working on the EliteBooks, I'm sure someone out there would greatly appreciate it.