Automatic display rotation with ProtectSmart Accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by CompuGeek, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

The numbers are updating really slowly for me, but they update once if I reopen the app.

2. OhPinchy

OhPinchy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, great work with this app CompuGeek, very cool thing to get working.

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the 64-bit version as below and it worked (albeit sluggishly) for the first couple of rotations and then just became non-responsive - no flickering but no rotation at all either.

I'm happy to do whatever I can to help debugging as I'd love to see this working smoothly. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

well, ive rently purchased a tm2 2050ea (i did buy a tx2 1340ea first as i was put off by the potentially underpowered pentium, but pc world messed me around big time on that one...)

this mod is great stuff! but i felt the need to post some feedback:

as some have said, the latest reincarnation of the sensor driver seems to update very infrequently (ive used the xyz display tool). Whilst it works every time i rotate the screen, i have to wait about 5-10 secs for it to actually happen.

I then did it the way as shown in the very first post, and it works much more quickly (just as well as in the vid), but going back to laptop mode i sometimes do end up with an upside down screen :/

One other thing - both ways i tried it, in portrait mode the digitizer would go crazy. It looked like the screen had flipped, but the pen input hadn't flipped with it (it that makes sense...)

Just some food for thought. Keep at it!

4. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a tm2 2100 and this was the first thing i installed and when I went to restart or shut down my computer it would freeze at the windows is shutting down screen. So I reformatted and tried again same problem. I uninstalled the software and left just the drives installed still got the freezing. so I uninstalled the protect driver and bam my computer would restart and shut down again.

I like this idea just need to work out the bugs.

5. rayco

rayco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey is anyone else having a problem with the way it rotates? Its not rotating the right way. If I rotate it right, it will be upside down; if i rotate it left, it will be to sideways.

6. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

yea did that to me alot to but since my computer wouldn't shut down properly I just gave up on it to many bugs but great idea keep working on it

7. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

I just saw this great looking game at Puddle - The Game and I thought to myself that it would be really fun to play with an accelerometer. How difficult would something like this be to pull off?

8. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hard. Really hard...

9. paulbee

paulbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for this tool, CompuGeek! To add to others' experiences, I found it to work intermittently. Sometimes I would turn the tablet and the screen would rotate very promptly. At other times, it wouldn't rotate at all. Occasionally it seemed to be playing catch-up -- going through multiple rotations in quick succession -- but that was pretty rare. Most often, it didn't seem to detect that I had turned the tablet at all. (The amount of force with which I turned the tablet seemed to have no effect.) I will say that when it did decide to rotate the screen, it always rotated it correctly.

Since trying the tool I've performed a system restore for unrelated reasons, and I think I won't reinstall it until the sensitivity issues have been ironed out a little bit more. But this little program is well on its way. Great thinking to come up with this, and thank you for sharing it with us!

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

for it to run better, just run 2 versions of it at the same time, it may seem weird, but that is all it takes for it to work right. it works 100% of the time.

paired with the http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/36247-autowallpaper-change-wallpaper-after-rotation.html it is great!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015