Automatic display rotation with ProtectSmart Accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by CompuGeek, Aug 17, 2010.

1. CompuGeek

CompuGeek Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,
    I am somewhat new to this forum but have been lingering for a while. I've been working on a program that accesses the protectsmart 3D accelerometer data and rotates the display accordingly. The program just runs in the background without any UI and barely uses any memory (Task Manager shows the CPU usage at 0% and memory: 6,288 K).

I am ready for a beta release (might need to make some small adjustments) and thought I'd post the software here.

The application requires the HP ProtectSmart drivers (ProtectSmart does not need to be enabled) and the .NET Framework 4.0 (with Visual C++ 2010 redistributable). There are two different versions, select depending on the version of Windows you have installed (x86 or x64).

I will be making a demo video of it in action once my cold has gone away.

I hope the program works well for everyone, I only have one TM2 to test with.

Enjoy.

Readme:
    http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/HP_Tm2_Accelerometer_Software.rtf

x86 Installer:
    http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/tm2_accelerometer_(x86).exe

x64 Installer:
    http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/tm2_accelerometer_(x64).exe

Visual C++ 2010 x64: Download details: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Visual C++ 2010 x86: Download details: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

HP ProtectSmart 4.1.1.1 Driver: http://download.windowsupdate.com/m..._3a5bdb994e42cf7b61e175b59647c51e2dc13b92.cab

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. comp666

comp666 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow pretty amazing, will try when I get home. Did you use C for this?

3. CompuGeek

Sort of, I used Visual C++ for the dll and C# for the background program.

4. teknical

teknical Pen Pal - Newbie

On reboot:
    "tm2 Accelerometer has stopped working"
    "System.IO.FileNotFoundException"

Is your app not finding accelerometerdll.DLL?

5. CompuGeek

Did you install the right version for Windows? If you go to system properties (in the start menu, right click computer -> properties), it will show which version of Windows you have (x64 or x86). Make sure you installed the right version of my application.

6. teknical

Yes, I installed the x64 version of your program for my 64-bit Windows 7 pro install.

7. CompuGeek

8. teknical

No, it's in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\...\amd64\

9. CompuGeek

Ah, please install the drivers from my previous post. If it is in the driverstore it means the driver is not properly installed.

10. pttuan89

pttuan89 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I cant wait to get home to try this app! :)

11. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice work!

12. Toby

Toby Pen Pal - Newbie

Working fine here, thank you. However, how fast is normal switching? It takes about the same time as the button press.

13. swidwaks

swidwaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Is this only enabled for slate mode, or will it start switching it up if my leg starts to twitch?

Either way thanks a bunch for taking the initiative, this is one of the biggest features I've missed in the tm2.

14. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Strange thing here with the x64 version: It quits as soon as it should rotate :S

15. CompuGeek

16. CompuGeek

Here is an update for x64: http://compugeeksoftware.com/software/downloads/tm2_accelerometer/fix.zip

Open Task Manager and switch to the processes tab. Then find tm2_accelerometer.exe, select it and click end process.

Open C:\Program Files\CompuGeek Software\tm2 accelerometer\ in explorer. Replace the existing files with the ones in the zip.

That should fix the delay and some rotational issues.

17. amademan78

amademan78 Pen Pal - Newbie

Still a no go for me with x64. Installed the x64 version, Protectsmart, Visual C++, & x64 update. It doesn't crash but the screen doesn't rotate when I rotate the tablet in any direction.

18. motionride

motionride Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here, not working properly, it only rotates into one position regardless of how I am holding it. Maybe it needs a little bit of a calibration tool as I think it could be that the accelerometer gives back different values than on CompuGeeks TM2.

Just an Idea.

19. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here. I have 3D drive guard 4.0.3.1 (the one that came with the notebook). I could only find inf files for the 4.1.1.1.

SOLVED: Go to device manager and manually update the HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor's driver to this one (4.1.1.1):
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/m..._3a5bdb994e42cf7b61e175b59647c51e2dc13b92.cab

Thank you CompuGeek, kudos :) With some calibration it will work flawlessly (right now it rotates about 15% of times).

What do you think about disabling rotation when it's in notebook mode? Right now it rotates the screen upside down :S
    PM me if you need help understanding sensor data (accidental movement, shakiness on a train or in a bus, difference between rotation and fast movement up, left or right, etc etc). I have experience with windows mobile accelerometers.

20. pttuan89

pttuan89 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the app installed, no error showed up. But it doesnt keep running in background. Looking at the task manager, after double click the exe file in ProgramFiles folder, tm2_accelerometer.exe show up for about 1 second, and dissappeared! I have driver, .net, and Visual C++ installed...